A Masquerade Ball

(Image not mine)

(Exactly One Year Later)

Y/N'S POV

No one told me there was such a thing as a 'Thank You Ball'. It seems pretty extra to me, why don't you just send a thank you card? Apparently King Runas liked to be extra because he was holding a ball in thanks for ridding his kingdom of the dragons a year ago, and we were the guests of honor.

"Does this dress make me look fat?" Lucy swished her light blue gown around.

"Lucy, you could never look fat," Susan chuckled. She wore a deep purple gown that fit her perfectly. Now that she was nineteen she looked very mature in the dress.

My dress was similar to theirs, an old-fashioned forest green gown. The skirt had tons of layers so I didn't need to worry about being cold during the evening dance. The cut was very classic with a square collar and laced bodice that melted into a heavy and wide skirt that fanned out behind me. Because the bodice was so tight it made it hard for us to breathe fully so we each had a matching fan.

Lucy's hair had gotten longer over these two years and was curled beautifully with the front pieces pinned back, no doubt done by Susan. Susan's hair was in an elegant french twist that kept her crown straight on top of her head. She had also done my hair which was in the same style that it was during our coronation as it had become my signature style. Each of us had our crowns on seeing as we were going to be among many other important nobles and royals.

"Come on," Susan began walking to our carriage that had just pulled up, "Peter and Edmund are already there waiting for us."

"I still don't understand why they couldn't just wait until we were done," I pouted.

"Because we girls take far too long," Lucy rolled her eyes, imitating her brothers.

I laughed and we climbed into the small carriage, our dresses taking up most of the space. I crossed my arms and slouched back, looking at Susan and Lucy.

"I must admit, I'm not excited to see Princess Anne." I frowned.

Lucy chuckled, "I don't think Peter is either. Princess Anne has been sending letter after letter to him all year."

"She really is obsessed with him," Susan smirked, "I can't imagine why though."

I grinned, Peter was a pretty odd choice. Lucy and Susan went on to describe all of his odd tendencies as we rode and I opted to watch the forest pass through the window for the rest of the time. It was a lot faster of a journey with a carriage to King Runas's palace so we made it there right on time. As we stepped out, a soldier from the palace bowed and held out three bland silver masks that covered the top half of your face.

"Your Majesties, please remove your crowns and wear these masks, as per the King's request."

We looked at each other strangely for a moment, none of us aware that this was a masquerade ball. I took the mask from the armored woman with a smile and placed it on my face before taking off my crown and placing it back in the carriage. Susan and Lucy followed my lead and the soldier led us to the ballroom as groups of people from other carriages swarmed towards the doors. I saw many important-looking people, a few accompanied by small children in adorable gowns or suits and all wearing matching masks. We all entered through the massive doors and stepped into a grand ballroom lit by crystal chandeliers that sent candlelight dancing around the room. The marble walls were embellished in gold and beautiful paintings that matched an enormous painting on the ceiling of the room. Large doors were propped open to allow guests onto the large terrace where there were beverages and small snacks displayed on grand tables. King Runas's men walked around the floor, offering glasses of champagne to the adult guests and small juices to the children.