Home

(Image not mine)

(Two Weeks Later)

Y/N'S POV

"Must you go?"

"I'm afraid so, love. We've been called back home."

I sighed and grasped a little tighter onto Elaine's hand. The rest of our family was leaving to go back to the city, including Edmund. They were to attend boarding school in a month, and Elaine and I were going to stay with my grandfather. He agreed to school Elaine and me, which was perfect because I couldn't go back to my parents. My father had been called to war and my mother was in America.

"Will you come back soon?" Elaine looked up at him.

He smiled sadly and knelt down. "I don't know, dear. But I hope so."

She flung her arms around him as tears streamed down her face. "Please don't go!"

"I'm sorry, but we don't have a choice. I'll call every day."

She nodded and stepped back, tugging on my skirt. I picked her up and balanced her on my hip, which was surprisingly easier when I was older.

"Goodbye, my little girl." Ed kissed her head then turned to me. He gently pressed his lips to mine, "I love you."

"I love you too." A single tear rolled down my cheek. "Take care."

He wiped the tear from my face with a sad smile before stepping back, letting his siblings say their goodbyes. Susan was the first one to say goodbye, she hugged me and Elaine tightly and wished us well. Next was Peter, he patted both of us on the shoulder and told us not to worry. Finally, Lucy came up to us in tears.

"I really hate goodbyes." She sniffled.

"Me too." I attempted a smile.

"We'll come to visit as soon as we can. Assuming we can convince our mum."

"We can always track you down instead."

She smiled, "That'd be nice."

We hugged her one last time, Elaine holding onto her as long as she could. Just then, Mrs. Macready rolled up to the front of the house in her wagon. "Time to go."

Lucy sighed and picked up her trunk, following her siblings out the door and down the steps, boarding the wagon. Just before they disappeared behind the trees, I caught Edmund's eye one last time. Then just like that, both my siblings in law and my husband were gone.

---

(One Month Later)

"Hi, Dad!"

I heard Elaine's voice coming from my study and felt a large smile spread across my face. Edmund had kept to his word and called every day, sometimes even from a stranger's telephone on the train.

I hurriedly washed the flour off my hands and left the kitchen, walking swiftly to my study down the hall. I could hear Elaine talking on the phone before I walked in. Today she wore her favorite blue dress and I couldn't help but be reminded of Edmund.

"And Mum is making bread- oh! She's here now, hi Mum!"

I laughed, "Hi, Elaine!"

"I'm talking to Dad!" She paused for a moment. "He says hi."

I smiled and sat in the plush purple chair next to her, watching as she rocked back and forth while talking to Edmund. From what I gathered, she told him about her day so far and that she got a new plushy that looked like Aunt Laura. She also got to say hello to Susan and seemed pretty happy about it. Eventually, the little girl decided it was my turn to talk to him and held out her hand.