Chapter 7: Bonding

How long he sat in the shrubs, he didn't know. His friend had ceased the gentle nudging to nip at his ears. Almost, he wished his friend would kill him; almost allowed self-pity to ruin any hope of helping Ailyin.

"What can I do, Friend? My seistri is doomed if I can't get a message to her. But who will take a message from a tiav'yag?" He dropped his head into his hands and sobbed. The next nip took a bit of skin with it and had him rising to his feet with a cry of surprise.

"Alright," he growled as he frowned at the wuveia who stood staring at him with an approving grin, a janty tilt of his head easing Outh'n's ire. "I wish I knew what to call you."

"Oowah." The beast uttered a guttural reply.

Outh'n's jaw dropped. "Did," he started, his jaw working to form the words, "did you just answer me?"

The beast's head dipped once.

"By the Holy Voice," he murmured in awe, receiving another nip for his irreverence. "Ouch!"

Oowah snuffed and snorted.

"Alright. I'll mind my words." A sound, half-gasp, half-chuckle, punctuated his promise.

Oowah nodded again once.

"I need to find someone who'll send a message home for me. I have to warn Ailyin."

His friend stepped a bit closer and danced nimbly on his front paws, belying his great size.

"Not you, my friend. The villagers would kill you without a thought. They'd think you were there for the herds." Outh'n sighed. "I need to hurry. Mt. Charan's the only place where it might be possible for me to gain a hearing."

The elongated snout dipped and tilted to one side, as if Oowah had trouble understanding.

"I'm going to Mt. Charan. I won't ask you to go with me because this is your home," he waved at the forest surrounding them. "I'm not sure there will be enough prey to hunt. You should stay here."

The muzzle shook back and forth so vigorously, spittle flew. Some landed on Outh'n.

"Ugh! What'd you do that for?"

"Uuff," came the gutteral reply paired with another softer shake of his head, distinctly animal yet understandable.

"Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you. And I've got no more jerked meat to share with you. I can forage when we're out of the forest, but I don't know if a hunt will be successful."

Oowah's only reply was a disdainful shake of his head as he trotted off. Outh'n hoped they were heading in the right direction.

*****

Five dawnings brought the two to the southern edge of the forest. The foothills rose to Outh'n's left and a mountain valley spread out before them. Without trees to block it, the whistling wind nipped Outh'n's cheeks and nose, a harsher warning than Oowah's. Without thinking, he rested one hand on his friend's head and scratched behind his ears.

"It's on the other side of those foothills."

Oowah nodded.

"Think we can get across without being spotted?"

Another nod.

Outh'n snorted. "I know you can, my friend, but can I?"

The only answer Outh'n received was Oowah's wagging tail disappearing into the tall grasses. He had to jog to catch up. Clusters of hardy wildflowers dotted the area and he couldn't help thinking how much Alanyin would've loved this place. Outh'n returned his gaze to Oowah's tailtip which peeked above the grasses, since it was all he could see of his friend.