Chapter 10: Ordeal

A dimly lit, wood paneled room greeted Outh'n's eyes and nose when he woke. The mattress beneath him was so lush, he gladly sank deeper into it. The last thing he remembered was riding on a canyon path with the wind shrieking relentlessly in his ears.

In the dark, memories flooded him. Meren, who'd proven to be a true friend, sped ahead of him, promising to make sure the missive reached his family in two nainda. "What's wrong with the people of Prichud, Outh'n? I'll never understand how they could believe you would do such a thing."

Outh'n scoffed, sadness hovering around his eyes. "Believe it, Meren. There are people who are less civilized than the beasts of the wilds." Meren chuckled and Outh'n just stared at him until his mirth died. "Believe it, friend. I have lived it every day of my life. This eye," he paused and shook his head. "No, I thought this eye was the reason the others left me out of everything and the maidens stayed away. I guess I was wrong because I heard one say it was my ability to win competitions." He checked his pack over again as he continued. "Add to that I had an apprenticeship lined up with expert Glashiin workers down Oxyl way..."

"Jealousy? That bad?" Outh'n glanced up at him, grinning when he saw Meren's hand scratching away at Oowah's ears. The latter's tongue lolled happily.

His grin faded as he answered. "I wouldn't have thought so. Not until this happened to me and not until I heard it from Kurg'l's own mouth. I didn't exactly live a glorious life. I grew up on a farm, a poor one at that. I had no friends until Alanyn pushed her way into my life. My family was, still is, everything to me."

"Well, my friend, I hope it's alright for me to call you that." Meren waited for Outh'n's nod before he said, "I'm off to deliver this." He held up the rolled missive. "Pray for my success."

"I will Meren, though I'm not sure how often Tugansol hears me."

"You doubt the very Breath of Life?" The surprise on Meren's face had Outh'n chuckling wryly.

"If you'd lived my life, you'd understand what I mean. I believe in Tugansol. I'm starting to believe there is some kind of plan and purpose for my existence." Outh'n looked around for Oowah who loped over to him licking his lips. He stood patiently at Outh'n's right side. "I know no other who would send me a wuveia friend and a faithful messenger, or who would bend the ears of a Guardian to my pleas. Tugansol must be at work." He shrugged. "I will pray. That's all I can promise you, Meren."

"And I will promise you one more thing, Outh'n Durr. I will send your family your well wishes."

Outh'n shook his head immediately. "You can't, friend Meren. Please don't do that. If they know I live, the ones who came after me before would not stop at anything, it seems, to see me dead."

"Are you a coward then?"

Outh'n stared at him for several heartbeats before deciding his question wasn't a jibe. "No. But I'd hate to know my family was harmed if they are prevented from finding me. I'm making certain neither they nor anyone else will find me when I leave here today."

"But," Meren began but Outh'n cut him off.

"You must go, my friend. I thank you for your short friendship with me and for your promise and thought for my family and me. There's no safe place for me in Shinnoah. Oowah, the Guardian, and you are the only people I have met since my sentence who even deigned to speak to me with courtesy. Well," he checked himself, "there's also Bazhbet Mehyah. Even so, I'll disappear. With Tugansol's guidance, may I never put a foot wrong on the path."

Meren nodded slowly, mounted, and wheeled away. Outh'n watched him until he disappeared around a bend in the path, then started after him. The shrill voice of the Guardian halted him.