Chapter 11: Crossing

Angry voices echoedin the distance as the two men sped away. Bazhbet had exited first,then beckoned Outh'n to follow. He stayed as close as he dared,keeping watch on the Senya and his own footing. He couldn't affordanother injury.

Waves rushing at theshore warned Outh'n the sea was nearby. The murmur grew to arhythmic thundering which he would've found pleasant in othercircumstances as a wood and stone pier emerged out of the darkness. Alittle skeev with a single sail bobbed crazily in the swell as ashadowy figure moved busily from one end of the vessel to the other.

"I'm sorry,Outh'n," Bazhbet spoke only loud enough to be heard over thenoise. "This was the best I could do. He was the only one I couldtrust to get you to safety. Keep an eye on the sky. The end of Iyaamisn't the best time for sailing. When you get there, don't touchanything but the roots at the shore. Wait there until the guide comesfor you, no matter how long it takes. Only that person can lead yousafely on."

Bazhbet gripped oneof Outh'n's shoulders gently as a babei might say goodbye to hisfiiu. "I will pray for your safety. Honor Tugansol always,youngling. Never forget your valiant friends who gave their lives toprotect you. They kept you safe until I was able to arrive. Eilse isrecovering but Oowah, they shot first. I buried him and will rememberhim with you."

Tears streamed downOuth'n's face at the news he had known was coming but hoped hewouldn't have to hear.

"Go now! Now!"Bazhbet shoved him toward the small sailing vessel. He couldn'tstay to watch them leave and hurried back inland.

"Come now, MasterDurr," a nasally baritone voice urged from the pier. "We must setsail now or lose the help o' the tide."

Outh'n forced hisfeet toward the skeev. Woodenly, he hauled his pack over the side andfollowed it awkwardly.

"Know ye anythin'of sailing?"

"No, Senya,"answered Outh'n in a blank monotone which masked his breakingheart.

"Then you'llneed to learn. I'll need help if we're to get you there safely."

"How will youreturn, then, Senya?"

A soft chuckle brokeover the swishing waves. "Smart mouth on ye, then! No master areyou! The Senya gave you more credit than was due you, methinks."

Outh'n rose to hisfeet. He wasn't as tall as Kurg'l but he could carry himselfwell. "What do you need me to do, Senya?" exhaustion and despairthreaded his determined tone.

"Nah, never yemind, Master. Sit ye down back where ye were. I'll have us out onthe open sea in no time. I'll let ye know if I need a pair ofyounger arms and legs." The older man nodded and pointed towardOuth'n's pack. Outh'n nodded and settled beside it.

They sailed allnight and well into the next dawning when the puffy clouds which hadgreeted them at first light grew dark and ominous.

"Looks like wecan't avoid it, youngling," yelled the sailor. "I'mdefinitely gonna need your help and ye'll need to listen carefully.Do only and exactly what I tell ye to. One slip and we'll besleeping with the jimla in the deeps."

"Yes, Senya,"Outh'n answered as he rose stiffly and stretched.

Even with Outh'n'shelp, the crossing was difficult. Though fighting seasickness, he wasdetermined to help the old man get him to the shores of Yacan. Hewasn't sure why. Death was almost as certain in one place as in theother. Still, the old man didn't deserve to die because of hisindifference.

"We're almostthrough!" The sailor worked hard to be heard over the howl of thewind. "See the golden line over there?"

Outh'n blinkedaway the rain on his lashes without letting up on the rope in hishands. He yelled back, "Yes —"

And that was hismistake. He shouldn't have tried to speak. Vomit soon covered thedecking nearest him, his clothes, and boots. Ignoring it all, heclung to the rope and to the hope his legs wouldn't prove as weakas his belly. When he no longer felt the grip of nausea, he raisedhis head and rose from his knees, adjusting his grip the rope.

"You're a truesailor, ye are, Master Durr!" With the wind dying down, Outh'ncould hear the admiration in the old man's tone. Encouraged, henodded his thanks, careful to keep his mouth closed this time.

The old manchuckled. "Well, look where we are." His bony finger pointedtoward the bow. "There be Yacan, straight ahead."

Outh'n turned tosee a misty shape hovering in the distance half hidden by the curtainof rain which was speeding away from them. He fell to his kneesagain.

"Don't give upnow, youngling. There's still a ways to go." The old man helpedhim to his feet and walked him over to his pack. He gently inspectedOuth'n's hands which were red and raw. He whistled. "You're adetermined one, ain't ye. Why didn't ye let go?"

Outh'n looked intothe old man's eyes and raised one eyebrow. "I hear jimla kick intheir sleep."

The old man cackledin glee and patted him roughly on the shoulder. Outh'n offered atired smile in return.

"See if you cansleep a bit and I'll get us as close as I can to the shore. You mayhave to swim, though. Think you can with that heavy pack?"

"I'll leave mypack if I have to swim. On Yacan, if I live, Serafin will make sure Idon't die. If I die, what need would I have for a pack ofsupplies?"

The old man nodded."So it is."

Moment by moment,the island loomed nearer, the shadows giving way to some definition.He rested, but he couldn't sleep. Leaves and branches dominated theview. A thud on the bottom of the skeev sent a shudder throughOuth'n.

"Well, looks likewe're here."

Outh'n nodded andstood. Seeing the roots were near, he shouldered his pack andprepared to trade the known for the unknown.

"I'm sure theSenya told you not to touch anything, to wait for her to guide yousafely in?"

"He did."

"Follow thosedirections and you'll be fine. Everyone gets exactly what theydeserve on Yacan."

Outh'n nodded andstepped off onto a nearby root. He nearly slipped but managed to makeit to a circle of roots which seemed to have a solid enough bottom.He settled his pack there and settled down to wait.