Chapter 20: Friends

Two thumps on his door startled Outh'n and he spilled hot kafkhet all over his burled-wood counter. The swirling pattern of the wood was one of his favorite things about his cabin. Muttering under his breath, he cleaned the mess as he called out, "Hold on, Eiva. I'm on my way."

Annoyed, he downed the rest of his warm brewed drink and bounded out the door. "What are we doing today that's got you so excited?" One corner of his lips turned up in wry humor at the twinkle in his friend's eyes.

"Shopping." Her jovial one word answer wiped the smile off his face in an instant.

"You made me spill my kafkhet for a life-forsaken shopping trip?"

His frown didn't even dent her excitement. "Yes. I need your help."

"My help?" Outh'n asked, incredulous.

"Yes. I have something special planned and I need to look special."

"And you want my opinion?"

"Well, who else am I supposed to ask?" He found her exasperation perversely pleasing after being tricked out of his own plans for the day.

"One of your other friends? One with more curves than me?" He carved a basic female shape in the air between them.

"In case you hadn't noticed, Outh'n Durr, other females are jealous of me." She sounded truly miffed and Outh'n decided the outing could end up being fun. Maybe.

"Jealous of you?"

"How can you not have noticed?"

"Oh, I don't know. I've been a little busy trying not to be killed by a big Genzetti male who moves like a shadow and happens to also be my iteik'I. Speaking of Kol, he is currently annoyed with me."

At the mention of his teacher, Eiva stiffened. Ah! So that's what this was all about. Even better.

"So, ah, something special related to Kol, then?"

Eiva simply bobbed her head once.

When she still kept silent, he asked, "So what are we shopping for exactly?"

"Everything," she beamed as if he'd given her all five of Y'Dahnndrya's moons on a platter.

"Everything?"

"New clothes, new hairstyle, new beads and metal baubles — all new." She ticked the items off on her fingers. "I must look my best when I approach him."

Outh'n had his doubts about the outcome but decided he'd help. It might be fun to see Kol driven to speechlessness by his friend's beauty.

"Alright. I'm no expert but I know what I like. Maybe he'll like something similar," though Outh'n had his doubts. He and Kol didn't seem to like the same things.

They strolled down the path, mostly in silence, enjoying the symphony of life surrounding them. The suns were still barely rising when they entered the central market area, but Eiva headed directly to a bauble shop. This was one shop Outh'n didn't mind visiting. Some of the items reminded him of home and the few happy times he remembered, most of them with his family and Alanyn.

"What are you looking for here?" he asked as she led him deeper into the shop.

"These." Eiva pointed to a small bowl filled with brilliantly colored glashiin beads. He smiled. "Ah!" she exclaimed. "I knew it!" She carefully chose several beads in shimmering purple, solid shiny black, and a shimmery golden yellow.

"What are you going to do with them?"

Somewhat distracted, she answered. "They're for my hair of course."

"Of course," he echoed, smirking.

"Outh'n, if you didn't want to be here, you could've just said no." The corners of her lips turned down.

He raised and eyebrow and asked, "Really?"

She beamed, baring both of her fangs. The feral quality wasn't lost on him, especially since she paired it with eyebrows dipping sharply above her nose.

"I didn't think so." Outh'n crossed his arms over his chest as he scanned the other items nearby. "What about one of these?" He pointed to a black glashiin medallion embossed with a silvery moon.

"Are you serious?" Disgust tainted her lovely visage and Outh'n frowned, too.

"Look, I was just trying to help. You've chosen black beads. I thought this matched."

"It does, but, Outh'n, that's Dahl. Min, the blue moon, is most coveted in our art and decorations. Min is the symbol of Genzet. To wear Dahl —" She left the sentence hanging but he understood, having seen how important tradition and duty were to her and Kol alike.

"My apologies." He scanned again and found a purple one embossed with one of Edrea's round, single-petaled blossoms. He picked it up. It was very well done. He wondered who the artisan was. "What about this one," he murmured half-heartedly. If she didn't want it, he did.

"Let me see," she demanded as she reached for it. He held it away from her. When she faced him, confusion was all he could read. She really didn't understand courtesy in the least. He slowly passed it to her.

"It's polite to ask. You never know. I might have wanted to purchase it."

Eiva laughed but it was tainted with uncertainty. "You? What would you do with a piece of jewelry like this?"

"Jewelry like this, as you put it, is good for many things. I don't have to wear it to enjoy it."

Eiva stared, open-mouthed, then snapped her jaw shut. She hissed, "You're ridiculous and just angry with me for snatching it."

"Maybe I am. And maybe I'm also tired of helping you shop."

He stepped around her to make good on his threat. She grabbed his elbow.

"My apologies, Outh'n. I really didn't think you would want anything in this shop."

He only looked at her, then turned his gaze to her hand on his elbow. He stared pointedly until she let go. He raised his gaze to meet hers. "I'll be up front when you're ready."

He walked toward the door intending to wait on a bench out in the fresh air. A shop keeper called out, "Is there anything in particular you need, honored customer? I hate for you to leave empty-handed."

Outh'n stopped and thought. If they sold glashiin ornamentation here, perhaps they also sold the supplies for making them. "I was actually wondering if you sold glashiin pieces for working."

The shop keep beamed. "Why, yes! We have several bags you can choose from in many different weights and shapes."

Outh'n smiled. Finally, he could do something with the time he wasn't training that wouldn't land him in trouble.