Chapter 21: Connection

"I still can't believe you bought three bags of leavings. What are you going to do with it all?" Eiva's arms dripped with shopping bags like her tone dripped with disdain. She was busy checking that their strings were drawn tight enough to keep crawlies and damp from ruining her purchases.

"You'll see," Outh'n smiled as his own bag of goodies swung from the hand furthest away from her. He couldn't believe Tugansol had smiled on him so broadly today. When he left Shinnoah, never had he expected to be able to work glashiin again. But now that the opportunity was upon him, he couldn't wait to get started. His counter could be extended into a workbench without too much trouble. He'd also need some kind of forge for melting the glasshiin down. Stamps and pressers could be made with wood, if he could find the right sort.

"Alright, I'll trust your word and await this special, mysterious, something you are planning. Knowing you, though it may be strange, it will also have a measure of the wonderful."

"Sometimes you say the nicest things, my friend," Outh'n beamed.

"Un'yel," she retorted.

"What? Is that 'friend' in Genzetti tongue?"

She shook her head, her mountain of curls holding fast. The glashiin beads glittered happily within the twisted strands. "No. It is the term for an older female sibling who is not bloodkyn." She frowned as she said it.

"You mean, you wish to be my older seistri?"

She shook her head. "No I mean, I view you as my ki'im anyil and I didn't even realize it until now."

"So, younger male sibling?"

She nodded and raised an eybrow as if daring him to refute her words.

He shrugged, "I'm happy to be thought of in such a way. I left a favored seistri behind me in Shinnoah and it would be good to have family again." The words brought back his precipitous departure and the wall that separated him from his blood relations. He frowned as the dawning's light dimmed a bit.

"Cheer up, Outh'n," Eiva encouraged. "You may never see her again here but as long as she is following the path of Andurdrao, you will see her when you meet in the life beyond, eiya?"

Outh'n nodded but held any words back. They wouldn't be so nice if he set them free right now. Besides, he knew she meant well.

"So, what now? You've gotten your hair done. It's certainly eye-catching. The glashiin beads catch the light in just the right way." He paused as he cast a critical eye over his friend. "You chose to highlight your eyes, too, eiya?" When she nodded and smiled, he went on. "Who did you see? They certainly did it well. It looks natural but also other-worldly."

"My thanks, Outh'n," Eiva preened. "What about the clothing?"

Outh'n honestly didn't know what male wouldn't be pleased by her efforts. She was already quite lovely on the outside. The clothing she'd chosen today accented every curve and revealed much more than a Shinnoahn maid would consider proper. But he'd seen other Genzetti females on Yacan. This seemed to be something they usually did. Eiva always pushed the boundaries, though. If he was her target, he'd probably have mixed feelings. He decided on honesty.

"Look, I," Outh'n began, took a breath and as her face darkened, rushed on, "I'm Shinnoahn. If I saw my mate wearing even the more modest clothes Genzetti females seem to prefer, I'd want to lock her in a room where no one else could see her. But that doesn't mean you don't look amazing. If Kol doesn't agree, he needs new eyes worse than I do."

At that, she punched his shoulder in glee. "You had me so worried, ki'im anyil! I was ready to rip your throat out with my bare hands." She was laughing but Outh'n knew that wasn't an idle jest. She'd done such a thing before. He'd been a witness to the hapless intruder's death.

"Alright. I think I'm ready. Will you wish me well?"

Outh'n thought for a moment before remembering the Genzetti parting phrase. "Walk well the path, Un'yel."

She didn't walk. She sped down the path, her bags no hindrance in her haste to meet with Kol.

*****

A thump against his door roused Outh'n from thought. He'd been trying to figure out how to set up a place in his cabin for working, now that he had a glashiin supplier. He rose and opened his door to find Eiva slumped against the frame. He knelt so quickly, he bruised his knees but she was in bad shape. His knees would heal.

"Eiva," he called as he gently shook her shoulder. Genzetti didn't touch others as a rule and he really shouldn't touch her either. But how did one determine the health of another without touching them? "Eiva? Can you hear me?"

She rolled her head upward, still leaning on his door framed. "You're messing up your beautiful hair," he gently cautioned.

"It doesn't matter." She gestured weakly to all the new things they'd worked so hard to perfect earlier. "None of this matters."

"Why?" Outh'n figured he knew, but he asked anyway. Sometimes, it was better to sear the wound rather than risk infection over time.

"He doesn't want me." The tiny confession was so unlike his larger-than-life, overly confident friend. He wasn't sure how to help her. So he waited. "He said he's not looking for a life-mate." She barked a mirthless chuckle and added. "It's a lie of course. Every Genzetti male is looking for a life-mate who will bring them good connections."

"Maybe he's just not ready yet," Outh'n offered weakly. Kol was nothing if not decided, though Outh'n personally thought the man was determined to be awkward. There were some dawnings Outh'n wondered if Kol tried to make everyone else feel like they were somehow less committed than he was.

Eiva rolled her head from side to side. "He says not ever."

"Come in for kafkhet and we can talk more," Outh'n gently urged. He thought she might refuse but after several heartbeats, she nodded once and rose slowly to her full height.

"Thank you for the offer. I could use a cup of something warm since it seems my target leaves my arms bereft."

Outh'n turned so she couldn't see the grin that refused to behave itself. He headed straight for his counter and small cooking area. "Sit anywhere you feel comfortable. I don't know if my furniture is made for Genzetti comfort but feel free to try."

"Thank you ki'im anyil."

When the kafkhet was done and they each held a steaming beaker, Outh'n asked, "What will you do now?"

"What do Shinnoahns do when the one they love won't look at them?"

"Keep trying," Outh'n answered without thought.

Eiva stared at him over the rim of her cup. Light sparkled in her eyes as a smile broadened her features. She cocked her head to the side, one eyebrow lifted, and murmured, "I will take your advice, Outh'n Durr. I feel much better already. Thank you," she intoned. She set her cup on the table between them and something creaked. It grew louder, and both of them scanned the room for the cause when suddenly, Eiva shrieked.

The chair she'd chosen had spindle legs and one of them had broken. She lay sprawled on one side next to the collapsed chair, her shoulders shaking. Outh'n couldn't tell if it was fury or merriment and he wasn't about to guess.

A toss of her hair and a bark of laughter assured him all was well and he quickly offered her assisstance as they both laughed over the incident. How he'd fix the chair, he didn't know but he'd get it done. It was worth it to see Eiva smiling again.