Chapter 14: Within

Darkness enveloped Outh'n when he opened his eyes, reminding him of his last dawnings at home. How far had he fallen?

"Is anyone there?" He called out, groaning as he rolled onto his hands and knees, then sat back on folded legs. The ground was smooth, no pebbles or ruts dug into his knees or palms, but His whole body ached. He reached out and swept the floor trying to discover something...anything, that might tell him where he was or what he was supposed to do there. The smooth floor reminded him of stone, but it wasn't as cold as it should be.

Outh'n waited a long time but there was still no answer and he still didn't know what he should do now. After the silenced stretched uncomfortably long and his legs started to prickle, he got up on his knees and eased forward, sweeping the ground around him as he went. The grit of dirt met his seeking fingers, as well as a few scattered leaves. Nothing more could he find. He crawled forward on his hands and knees, carefully inspecting the path before continuing forward. When he'd gone a short distance in this manner, and his back muscles screamed at him more shrill than the wind in the Wistyng Mountains, he sat back on his haunches and sighed. He switched position so he could stretch, twisting from side to side at the waist, then hugging his knees to his chest.

When his muscles loosened up, he returned to the task of moving forward. On and on he crawled, pausing periodically to stretch. The grumbling of his stomach finally called a halt to his search. "Is this it, then? You wish to kill me by starvation? Taking away food and light?"

He hissed in disgust and stood to his full height. "I am Outh'n Durr, the wrongly accused, the unjustly hated and misunderstood. But I am also Outh'n Durr, the one who will not die of starvation. If I am meant to die, let me face it head on." And he stepped out in faith that when his foot set down, it would not be on empty air this time.

He was right. As soon as his foot touched the ground, light streamed in upon him blinding him with its intensity. He hissed in pain, squinting against it but trying to keep his eyes on the area around him. Tears blurred his vision and it took longer than it should have for his vision to adjust.

When it did, he stood on a dirt path edged by ropy tree trunks and leafy vines dotted here and there with luminescent foliage and blossoms. A fork divided the path ahead of him and a choice must be made. The left path seemed to have fresher air and a bit more light than the right one. He set off at once, ready to be done with these trials.

Before long, he came to a bend in the path which ended in another round room, simliar to the one Serafin and Kol had left him in earlier. Only in this one, there were several paths branching off of the central hub, much like a cart's wheel.

"So," Outh'n turned slowly to view each one. "Which one is the right one?"

He counted them off, finding nine, and decided to take the last one. He'd always been picked last when everyone was required to play a game during group activities. It seemed fitting. He set off down the path with sure steps. He'd been walking a while when he noticed a creaking sound and heard someone whispering behind him. He turned to see who or what followed him. Instead of a person, a vine curtain settled into place, sealing the entrance to this path. There was no going back. Indecision held him in place and the light began to dim. He started forward again and with each step he took, light returned until it seemed the mid-dawning suns shone down on him. As he walked, he recognized the path and, with dread, the tree which lay ahead. Outh'n lifted his eyes to the branches and spotted a golden head of hair and a smile he never thought he'd see again.

"Alanyn," he whispered. What he was seeing wasn't possible and he knew it. But the scents and sights, the firm dirt path under his feet, the sound and feel of the breeze made convincing himself hard. Real or not, if he could be with her, he'd stay here forever.

"Alanyn?" he called louder.

"Outh'n," her voice was a mere whisper on the breeze, as if she was further away than she looked.

He ran towards her, knowing what was going to happen. He picked up speed but the harder he pressed, the slower he became. As if time slowed, Outh'n had no choice but to watch as her dainty, booted foot slipped off the branch she was using to climb down.

"No! Not again," he roared, angered beyond reason. "Alanyn, hang on! I'm coming for you. I'll catch you this time. Trust me and hang on." Her fingers were slipping and he couldn't look away. First one, then another, then the rest slipped away and she crumpled slowly, silently, inexorably, into a mangled heap under their tree in their favorite place.

"No——o!" The scream ripped from his throat, the howl of a wild beast joining him as Oowah loped up to the still form. "What is this? What is this, Serafin!" His turned, searching for the Guardian who was certainly behind this nightmare.

His wuveia friend opened strong jaws as wide as he could and devoured what was left of his love. "No, Oowah. Why?" Outh'n sobbed uncontrollably now, finding it impossible to move a single muscle, unable to stop the carnage at his feet. He crashed to his knees and begged Tugansol to stop what he could not. "Please, have mercy, Tugansol. I can't do this again."

The hunting party took him by surprise as they sped past blades raised and war cries rending the air. Outh'n could only watch as they hacked Oowah to pieces, desecrating his companion who had only been faithful and true. Is this what had happened to him? What Bazhbet couldn't bring himself to say only days ago in Chefvna?

When they were done with Oowah, the hunting party turned on him with malice, eyes glittering with anticipation.

"Traitor!" yelled one.

"Kill him!" More took up the cry.

"He deserves to die!"

"Murderer!" The last voice was the only familiar one. Kurg'l was among them. Leading them straight to him with his bare blade raised high, cold hate hardened his eyes. He sneered as he got close. "Try and escape now, Outh'n Durr," he hissed.

Outh'n was incensed. Waiting until the last second, he jumped up with all his strength. Since he expected to fight that strange weight which no longer bore him down, his push was more powerful than he expected, lifting him clean off the ground. His elbow met with Kurg'l's jaw and the larger man's head snapped back viciously. But Outh'n didn't stop there. He steeled himself and fought his way through all the attackers. Their blades bit and slashed but he didn't care. Everyone he loved was dead, by their hands, and the desire for vengeance overshadowed all else.

One man swept him off his feet with the butt of a spear and the next thing he knew, pain flared everywhere as the group stabbed him in unity. He cried out, angry, frustrated, "Why, Tugansol? Why? Do you hate me so much?"

The men only jeered as he fell deeper and deeper into oblivion. Before he lost consciousness, a whisper brushed past his ear. "You are not hated and there is one who loves you still."