Chapter 15: New

His skin stung, the searing of fire. Outh'n jerked awake. Wide-eyed, he searched left and right for the attackers. They were gone. The tree, Alanyin, Oowah — all were gone as if they'd never existed. He patted his chest, arms, and legs. Not a single wound remained. But the stinging in his cheek was relentless. He reached up to touch the bloody, raw place on the right side of his face and whimpered when his hand came away covered in gore. He stood, stumbled, righted himself and trudged forward, unsure where he was going.

He came upon his old home without recognizing any of the surroundings. Tripping up the stairs, he crossed the wide porch and opened the door.

"Moyri? Babeiya? Ailyin?" There was no answer so he tried again. "Are you here? I need help, Moyri. Something's happened."

A shuffle in the far corner drew his attention. Ailyin stood backed into the corner wielding a kitchen blade against him, her eyes wide with fright.

"Who are you?" Her voice trembled and his heart broke.

"It's me, Outh'n." His own voice cracked and his eyes burned with tears. "Don't you recognize me, Ailyin? It's your own brudei." His voice faded to a broken, whispered plea. He slowly lifted one hand, palm upturned to her but stayed where he was. "Please, Ailyin, I need your help."

"I don't have a brudei. Not anymore." Spittle flew from her mouth and she brandished the blade in front of her with both hands. "My brudei wouldn't have left me in the hands of Kurg'l. My brudei died when he walked away from me."

He stared for a moment, then lowered his hand, his shoulders slumping. "I didn't do that, Ailyin. You know I had to leave. And I sent the message to warn you. You know I wouldn't just leave and forget. I love you and Moyri and Babeiya. You are all in my heart until my last breath is drawn." Still she held the blade at the ready. "Please believe me, Ailyin. Please."

Slowly, Ailyin lowered the blade. Halfway between where she'd been holding it in front of her and having it rest against her side, a shadowy blur sped past Outh'n startling him. Before he knew it, Kurg'l had his seistri trapped against him, the blade now held to her throat.

"Brudei, help me," Ailyin pleaded, her eyes widened once again in fright.

Outh'n scanned the room looking for anything he could use to free her.

"It's no use, Murderer," Kurg'l sneered. "There's nothing you can do to stop me." And in the blink of an eye, he slit Ailyin's throat. Tossing her aside, he gave Outh'n no time to even think about what just happened. "Your turn, you son-of-a-silti."

Outh'n's focus sharpened and he braced himself. Anger stirred in his belly, an uncontrollable blaze. "You'll pay for that, Kurg'l."

Kurg'l's menacing laugh sliced through the air as he charged, plunging the blade deep into Outh'n's core. Where there had been blazing heat, icy cold rushed in and Outh'n slumped to the floor.

*****

"What's going on, Serafin?" he sobbed as he rolled onto his side, once again shielded in shadows. "Isn't it enough I've lost my family once. Why must I live through it again in a worse way than what truly happened? I don't understand."

"You will, Outh'n Durr," the voice was a shivering whisper, soothing like a cool breeze on a muggy day. Whoever it was, the voice didn't belong to Serafin. "The one who endures to the end is forever a victor."

Outh'n snorted in disbelief. Something stung his cheek. "Ow! What was that?"

"Listen carefully, Outh'n Durr," the voice spoke again. "I know your pain. I know what you have endured. I will share your burden if you will share mine."

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I say. When you need to speak to someone of your struggle, I will gladly listen. In exchange, I need strong warriors. I believe you would be a good one."

He snorted again. "Why would you want someone whose own village rejected him without cause? I must be defective in some way or they would never have done such a thing to me."

"Your people could not see past their own selfishness to see the beauty of your spirit. I can."

Outh'n was silent for a long while. "What's the alternative?"

"Death."

Outh'n laughed outright, though there was no humor in it. "Death is inevitable for us all, isn't it?"

He sensed agreement, though he couldn't explain how. When there was no other answer, he rose slowly to his feet. "Alright then. I accept this trade."

"Are you certain? There is no going back."

"I'm certain. What do I need to do?"

"Choose one, Outh'n Durr." Three goblets exquisitely crafted of pale wood suddenly appeared before him on a low table. "Choose one and drink the contents."

"What's in them?"

"Do you not trust me?"

"I don't even know you."

A breathy chuckle filled his mind. "This is true. I give you my word the contents will not kill you. It is up to you whether or not to believe me."

"Alright then. Does it matter which one?"

"In a way. Your choice will determine your service."

Outh'n walked to the table. Each goblet held a different colored liquid — pale green, pale blue, and a dark color that could've been anything. He grabbed the pale green thinking it looked most like his moyri's herbal tea. He downed it in one go.

"Well chosen, Outh'n Durr. Welcome to Yacan. I am Edrea."

And then the burning sensation returned, low at first but steadily building. "What have you done to me?" Outh'n doubled over as he cried out. Falling to his knees, he succumbed to oblivion.