Chapter 16: Training

Outh'n dodged but not quick enough to avoid Kol's staff. For his effort, he'd have a nice bruise on his left bicep and a strained left hamstring. He growled in frustration.

"None of that, Outh'n," a rich alto voice chided from outside the sparring platform. The Genzetti female who'd spoken was shorter and smaller than Kol but far larger than any female of his previous acquaintance. As if that wasn't eye-catching enough, she was a deep, whereas Kol was shadowy black. He'd learned quickly that when people described Genzetti as "colorful," they meant something different than what he'd imagined.

"You don't command me, Eiva Di'Amo. Keep your comments to yourself," he snapped, spitting on the ground in frustration.

"Focus, Outh'n," Kol recalled his attention, punctuating his words with a thump of the staff which reverberated through the platform.

Outh'n's own weapon of choice was shorter spear tipped with a thin, leaf-shaped blade. He'd honed the edge 'til it was sharp enough to split a hair. At first, Outh'n was reluctant to spar with bladed weapons. But Kol's point was a good one. If you weren't good enough to survive sparring, you were better off dead than holding all the others back.

When he woke from the darkness Edrea's drink had dropped him into, Kol had been squatting nearby with a change of clothes, already ordering him around. Outh'n knew Kol being a resident of Yacan for longer set him higher in rank. He'd been told later that the Genzetti had once been a high-ranking officer in Genzet's elite fighting force, the Ver'therin. Still, knowing that and accepting his leadership were two different things. He'd never been one to easily accept the rule of others, which was why he'd chosen the solitary life of a glashiin worker. He scoffed at himself. Maybe that was part of the reason he'd ended up here in the first place.

A sharp tap to his shin sent him hopping backward. Eiva chuckled while Kol frowned. "If you don't want to take this seriously, then maybe you should let one of the others replace you on the platform," the latter remarked, lifting one corner of his black lips in a sneer which bared one fang.

Outh'n reset his stance for battle. "Not a chance, Genzetti." He'd also learned more about the proper way to stand up for oneself since his training had begun. His temper still got the better of him from time to time, but he was learning. He had Kol to thank for those lessons, too.

Back and forth across the platform, wood and metal clacked, thumped, and chimed, the sounds carrying through the canopy. By the time they finished, Outh'n's left eyebrow was gashed and bleeding. He was bruised on both shoulders and across his back, the left side of his ribs ached, and a red knot was swelling on his right shin. More muscles than he ever knew he had were strained. With a sinking feeling, he admitted to himself waking up would be hard when the sunslight gleamed through the windows of his tiny cabin the next dawning.

Outh'n's stay in the Byrnir, the alehouse and inn at the center of the market square, only lasted several dawnings until his cabin was available. It had been comfortable, but when he saw his own dwelling, a sense of belonging rolled over him. Small it might be, but it was his own home and something he'd never thought to have since Tiav'yag weren't allowed to own property. They weren't really allowed to stay in one place very long, anyway, and most villages wouldn't even let them set foot inside their borders, urging them on their way.

Edrea had saved Outh'n from a vile fate and well he knew it. If his service in life was the trade for having a place to belong and put his skills to good use, he was more than willing. He trudged to his home now in the fading light of the suns when he heard a stealthy step behind him. He crouched and spun on his heel. A splash of purple, difficult to see for certain in the dimness, caught his eye for a moment.

"Eiva Di'Amo, did you need something from me?" He stood, but kept his eye on the place where he'd spotted the small patch of color. He put as much confidence as possible into his stance and tone. He'd learned early on both guards and trainees had little respect for those who hung back. That had been hard to get used to. Sometimes he came upon a behavior that was frowned upon at home but rewarded here making him wonder if this place could be more of a home than Prichud had ever been. "Eiva, are you following me? Did Kol put you up to it?"

"As if he would stoop to such a thing for a trifling Shinnoahn youngling," she sneered, and stepped out of the shrubs where she'd hidden.

"Then why are you here. You obviously don't want to be seen." He crossed his arms over his chest, light enough to loosen them in defense if necessary, and cocked his head to one side without bothering to hide his hated eye. Another thing he'd learned since coming to Yacan, oddities could be a confusing distraction during battle.

"I am here, Outh'n Durr, because I feel you show promise." She mimicked his stance, no trace of a smile remaining on her face.

After a moment, Outh'n snorted in derision. "Whatever you say, Genzetti. It's been a long day. I'm tired and sore. I'm going home." He turned and started back down the path.

"You hateful little wretch," Eiva hissed behind him, incensed. "How dare you spurn my help, the help of one who is your superior in every way?"

His hackles raised at her haughtiness. She'd only arrived at Yacan a naida or two ahead of him. Tightening his muscles, he readied himself to take on her challenge.