Chapter 8: Explanations

The light of dawning shot through a high window. Brilliant glashiin panes patterned the floor in a colorful array thanks to the rising suns. Outh'n moved the table and climbed up to take a closer look at the etching. That's how Seth Yi'in's attendant found him.

"Dear Guest," he ground out the greeting, clearly upset, "You need to come with me. The Guardian calls and he is a busy man. He says you can leave your beast here." The man jabbed a finger at Oowah whose whisper-soft growl was just loud enough that the attendant flinched.

"My friend will go with me. If he isn't welcome inside, then I'll wait here." Outh'n's words, though quiet, rang with unshakable obstinacy.

"What's taking so long, Mikail?" Seth Yi'in's high tenor wavered through the open portal.

"My apologies, Honored Guardian," Mikail's chin dipped once as he continued. "This wandering tiav'yag," he sneered and slitted his eyes at Outh'n, "refuses to leave the beast here."

Seth Yi'in frowned, first at the attendant, then at Outh'n where he'd chosen to perch against the edge of the table. Stretching his legs out, he placed one booted foot atop the other at the ankles. Outh'n folded his arms across his chest and watched the interaction between the two men in silence. A crooked grin tugged one corner of his lips up.

"Outh'n Durr is our guest, Mikail, and you will treat him as such. His friend is also a guest. What kind of insanity has overtaken you that you'd rile a wuveia?" The Guardian threw up his hands in disgust.

Outh'n's jaw dropped in surprise. When he realized, he snapped it shut so hard his teeth rattled. He set the scowl back in place.

Seth Yi'in's eyes missed nothing. "Outh'n Durr, are you playing us for fools?"

He shook his head as he answered honestly, "Not at all, Honored Guardian."

"Then what's going on?"

Outh'n gestured toward Mikail. "He said Oowah couldn't go with me. I said if that was the case, I'd wait here. This place is strange to him and I don't want to leave him among unfamiliar people."

Seth Yi'in nodded. "Of course. I'm sorry I didn't think of that. Oowah," he cut a piercing glance toward the wuveia who'd risen to stand beside Outh'n, "may join us." He nodded politely to Oowah. How much of the Guardian's actions were for show? Outh'n wondered whether he'd been wise to come here. But wise or not, his seistra's life and chance of happiness might hang in the balance. Saving her would always be worth any risk to himself.

"Lead the way, Guardian Yi'in," Outh'n intoned.

They entered the main temple door and followed the central hallway for quite some time, turning neither left nor right. At the end of the hall, a door was set into the wall on Outh'n's right. Seth Yi'in led them into the small room which housed a square table set with writing materials, three shelves filled to overflowing with scrolls, and two upholstered chairs with arm rests. A small brazier was build into the corner of the room. Smoke exited through a hole in the ceiling.

"This is my private study," Seth Yi'in informed them. "You may leave us Mikail."

"As you say, Honored Guardian." The offensive attendant left, closing the door quietly behind him.

"Now, Outh'n Durr," he began as he settled into one of the chairs, "what's so important about this message? What's your trouble?"

"I don't mean trouble for me, Honored Guardian," he answered quietly. He waved a hand to indicate the opposite chair and his eyebrow rose in question.

"Yes, yes. Sit!" The Guardian nodded impatiently.

"I see you wish us to be on our way as quickly as possible." Outh'n sighed with resignation. After all, what did he expect? "I was hidden in the bushes at the side of an animal track when I overheard a conversation between two of my old acquaintances from home. Apparently, they were hunting me." Outh'n frowned and turned his lazy eye away from the Guardian.

"Have no fear, Outh'n. I will listen and judge as well as I can." The tinny voice might be sharp and quick, but the sincerity in his demeanor was easy to see.

Outh'n nodded and continued. "When they found some of the items I'd lost from my pack in my hurry to flee the area, they assumed the wuveia pack had gotten to me first. One of them threatened to wed my unsuspecting seistri, vowing she would suffer in my place." He shook his head in disgust. "I couldn't let it go, but I wasn't able to do anything, either. I'm already under sentence and if I failed, my death wouldn't keep him from hurting my family."

Seth Yi'in steepled his fingers and rested his nose on the peak. "I see," he murmured. "You did well coming here instead. How many days?"

"Too many," mumbled Outh'n swiping a hand over his mouth and chin, feeling the growth of beard there. "At least five dawnings since I saw them. I could be mistaken. The dawnings start running together when you have nothing to mark the difference between them." He paused and ran a hand through his unruly brown hair. "I believe three nainda or so have passed in all since I was forced unfairly from my home."

The Guardian's eyes snapped to his, flashing fire. "You dare to speak against your village council, youngling?"

"Only because it is the truth," he shook his head sadly. "I have never been well liked in my village." He laid his head against the back of his chair. "But I'm no murderer. And even if I was, what murderer kills the only friend? The only one besides family who took the time to get to know them?" Outh'n stood, unable to keep still. The room was small, especially with Oowah sprawled on the floor by the door but Outh'n managed to pace in spite of it.

"I know this probably sounds crazy to you, but I give you my word of honor." He snorted, realizing that probably didn't mean much with the brand still healing on his cheek. "I mean it. You have my word of honor, in spite of this," he gestured roughly to his cheek, having to turn his crooked eye toward the Guardian, "that I did not murder my best friend." He dropped back into the chair, propped his elbows on his knees and cupped his face in his hands. "I loved her, wanted to ask her to be my life mate. How could I do that if she was dead?"

Tears burned his eyes and he allowed them to fall. Oowah's claws scraped and ticked on the smooth stone floor as he came closer. The great, shaggy head butted his own as his friend offered the only comfort available to him. Outh'n fell to his knees on the floor and hugged the furry neck. Oowah patiently waited, crooning and snuffing now and again.

A creak alerted him to the Guardian moving and he jumped. "Now, now," Seth Yi'in soothed as he scratched away with stiil on partra, "that's enough of that. I believe you, Outh'n Durr. There are dark things moving under the surface of what is seen with our eyes. Your case is not isolated, I am afraid. While I can't undo the sentence, I can send the message for you. I hope it will reach your family in time."

"Thank you, Honored Guardian," Outh'n whispered in awe. Someone besides the beast at his side believed him. Tugansol had not abandoned him.