Prologue

From the author's desk:

This is the third part of my "How It Should Have Ended" (HISHE) short story series. If this is your first time reading my work, please go and read Part 1 (A Ji Hoo and Jan Di story) and Part 2 (The Continuation) first as I just continue the story on. (You can find those by clicking on my name and then my stories).

I made a promise to someone I would write this story for them so here it is.

I hope you guys like it though! Take care and please leave a review!

~cutestuff024

#givingJiHooAHappyEnding #janhoo #jandi #jihoo #soeul #woobin #gaeul #yijung #junpyo

PROLOGUE:

La Yeon, the first Korean restaurant to be awarded three Michelin stars, was located on the 23rd floor of the uber-posh Shilla hotel in Seoul. It was a very upscale restaurant, rumored to make its customers feel like they're eating Korean royalty food. Jan Di stepped out of the elevator, mouth gaping wide open in wonder. The view was spectacular. The city spread out like a postcard before her, and the desire to take her phone out and snap a picture of it was almost too much for Jan Di to bear. But she held back. She did not want to stand out at a place like this. To seem as though she'd never been here before (which was true, but that was beside the point).

"Wow." Was all she could say.

A waitress approached her to confirm her reservation, and she meekly followed the waitress to an elegantly decked out table set for two right beside the window. Her eyes refused to leave the view before her, but she forced herself to look around. She had never been to this restaurant before, because she'd never been able to afford it. Ji Hoo had asked her several times if she wanted to come try their food, but she had politely declined as she wasn't sure she'd feel comfortable at a place like this.

She was right.

Looking around at the other customers, she felt a little out of place. They were all very well dressed – some in full business attire (that looked like they cost several thousand dollars), while a few women were even wearing fancy dresses. There was a woman two tables away from her that wore a leopard printed dress with matching shoes and a matching purse. Her eyes widened as she tried to guess how much the woman's entire outfit cost.

She looked at her watch. 12:30.

They had agreed to meet for lunch instead of dinner because it would feel less hectic. They would have time to talk, and it wouldn't be as busy. She had taken the day off from the hospital, (which wasn't an easy thing to do considering it was quite last-minute), but she felt that this was something she needed to do. It was important for both of them to have this time together.

Jan Di appraised herself. She wore a simple grey dress that went just slightly above her knees, with black tights and a pair of black ankle boots. She was afraid she'd overdressed for lunch, but now she felt underdressed. She shrank lower in her seat.

She glanced at her watch again. 12:40.

"Something to drink while you wait?" The waitress, smiling politely at her, asked.

"I'll just have water for now, thank you."

She looked at her sweaty palms. Was she nervous? She hastily wiped her palms on her dress as the waitress brought out a glass of water.

"Would you like to look at a menu while you wait?" The waitress asked, her tone friendly.

Jan Di nodded absentmindedly as she glanced at her watch. 12:50.

Really? Are you really going to make me wait?

She felt edgier and edgier the more the minutes ticked by. She took her glass and started drinking while glancing at the menu. She almost spat the water out as her eyes registered the prices.

More than 100,000 won per person for lunch! What in the world are we eating? Gold?

She shook her head in disbelief. She would have to have a chat with Ji Hoo about this. She knew his kind could afford it, so they wouldn't even bat an eye. But still, she couldn't help but think of how much 100,000 would get her aside from lunch. Even though he kept saying it would be 'their' money soon, she didn't think she could just sit and have lunch here every day. Or once a week. Or ever. Again.

She would be just as happy (and just as full) eating fish sticks from a street vendor.

Ji Hoo.

In spite of her sudden mental outburst, she found herself smiling at the thought of him. How far had he come since they first met? Over the years, he had come out of his comfort zone little by little. There were days when he was even chattier than her. He was showing a wide range of emotions now and maybe even becoming a little more... social. Huge crowds and attention still bothered him, though he dared not admit it to anyone. But she could tell. They could read each other like an open book by now.

Two months until their wedding. The thought excited her more than she ever thought possible. Due to their busy schedules, they had hired a wedding planner, but it was up to Jan Di to dictate exactly how she wanted her wedding to be. (With the enthusiastic help of her best friend Ga Eul, of course.) They weren't going to have a huge wedding – which Ji Hoo was extremely relieved about – and if it wasn't for her mother, they probably would have settled to just have their families and closest friends at a small ceremony on the beach. But she was their only daughter, and her mother had bragged to her friends (and anyone who would listen, really) that her daughter was marrying an heir. "He's the best looking of the bunch," she would add, showing them Ji Hoo's picture, while everyone oohed and aahed in envy. "And did I mention he's also a pediatrician at the University hospital?" Her mother was practically bursting with pride. And when people asked her mother how a simple, ordinary girl like Jan Di was able to 'snag' a catch like Ji Hoo, her mother would raise her chin up proudly and say, "My daughter's a doctor there too. AND she got MY good looks to help her out." It embarrassed her at times but Ji Hoo found it mildly amusing, (as long as he wasn't actually there when her mother did this). So now they were going to have a 'real' wedding, with slightly more people than she had anticipated.

She didn't realize she was twisting the rings he gave her with a dreamy look on her face. Two more months and you're mine for good.

An image of Ji Hoo smiling popped into her head.

Her thoughts drifted to him again. She thought about how, when he smiles at her, his whole face lights up and she could see, actually see, his joy from the inside out. Or when he holds her hand, either while he's driving, or when they're walking, he always gave it a little squeeze before he let go. To assure her that it was temporary. That he was reluctant to let go.

And when he kisses her...

She closed her eyes and a soft, sly smile spread onto her face.

Jan Di shook her head, sternly reprimanding herself. This was neither the time nor the place for her to think about stuff like that. Maybe later...

1:00.

She was starting to think she had been stood up when a movement by the entrance caught her eye. She was so startled to see him that she almost knocked the glass off the table. Luckily, she caught it in time.

He stood there, tall and proud, wearing a black business suit and a frown on his face. He was talking to the waitress.

For a moment, Jan Di considered ducking under the table and hiding. Maybe, just maybe, she could sneak out through the back door? Was there even a back door? She glanced around, panicking.

The waitress gestured to her table, and then their eyes met. His frown disappeared, and his face became expressionless.

Too late. He had seen her. There was no escaping now.

"Gu Jun Pyo." She mouthed, as he walked towards their table.

...