Chapter 22

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chapter 22

"Any news?" Jun Pyo asked as Woo Bin arrived at his house. A servant came and tried to offer Woo Bin some drinks but he politely declined.

"I won't be long," he said, as the servant bowed and left the room.

"Have a seat." Jun Pyo gestured to the plush velvet couch. Woo Bin sat down and clasped his hands in front of him.

"My men have tracked them all the way to Mokpo," Woo Bin reported. "They can't leave Korea. The cops are right on their tail, too."

"Does Ji Hoo know?"

"No." Woo Bin replied. "He doesn't know we're still going after those guys. He's left it all to the cops."

Jun Pyo leaned back on the couch. "What are you going to do if you catch them?"

Woo Bin met Jun Pyo's eyes. "You don't want to know."

Jun Pyo exhaled loudly. "Maybe we should leave this to the cops."

"Oh?"

"Ji Hoo doesn't want us to get involved."

"You told him?"

"He knows." Jun Pyo smirked. "He knows we're still looking."

"Ah, of course he does. And are we going to listen?"

"I don't know," Jun Pyo answered. "I think we should." Before Woo Bin could contradict him, Jun Pyo added, "I put a guard on Ji Hoo. Discreetly. Though I'm sure he knows about it by now, he hasn't complained yet."

Woo Bin chuckled. "So did I. I put a few men on Ji Hoo and Yi Jung. Just as a precaution."

Jun Pyo grinned at him. "Good." He ran a hand through his wavy hair. Even though he had it straightened the curls he tried to hide would occasionally show up uninvited.

"You excited to go back to New York?"

"I'm excited to go back to work," was all he said in answer.

Woo Bin contemplated for a few seconds. "You coming back for the wedding?"

A sigh escaped his throat. "I'm not sure."

He had been okay seeing the two of them together, had accepted it even. But a wedding was different. Could he handle seeing his best friend marry his ex-fiancé? He'd like to think so. He loved them both, but did he love them together? He felt neither anger nor pain whenever he saw them together, but there were times when he felt the smallest of tugs, hints of previous attachments buried deep inside.

Now I know how Ji Hoo felt all those years.

He knew he wouldn't do anything to stop the wedding. He had made peace with that. But seeing Jan Di in a wedding dress walking towards Ji Hoo was something he probably wasn't ready for... yet. He was healing and finding his own happiness, thanks in part to Jae Kyung, but weddings were a completely different beast to deal with.

Woo Bin put a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Whatever you decide, bro, they'll understand. They will."

...

Jan Di had just sat down to eat breakfast when her phone rang. She debated whether to pick it up or wait until after she was done eating, but when she saw Hye Jin's number she decided to pick up. Hye Jin rarely called her lately.

"What's up?" she answered.

"Did you hear?"

"Hear what?"