Chapter 21

"I saw that you were perfect and I loved you.

Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more." - Unknown

Chapter 21

"Excuse me, what?" Hye Jin wasn't sure she heard it right.

Did she just say fiancée? Maybe I heard her wrong. But then again, not many words rhyme with fiancée.

As if she could read her mind, the girl repeated it again.

"Fiancée. You know, like, future wife and all that jazz."

Okay. Calm down. Her heart wanted to jump out of her chest. There was a loud ringing in her ears she couldn't shake. "Um. I was supposed to meet his mother?"

Hee Won's mouth twisted to the side. "You get me instead. Surprised?"

The waiter brought out some menus. Hee Won scanned the menu while Hye Jin pretended to look at hers. Food was nowhere near her mind at that moment. When the waiter came back she absentmindedly pointed to something on the menu just so he could get out of the way.

"What do you do anyway?" Hee Won asked, as she swirled her glass. She asked the waiter to bring an entire bottle, and was looking like she was going to drink all of it by herself.

"I... I'm an engineer," she stammered. "A mechanical engineer. I work for -"

"Well, I'm a model." Hee Won cut in before she could finish. She saw the triumphant glint on Hee Won's eyes, who flicked her shiny hair around and fluttered her long, dark lashes at her.

"I... I can tell," she whispered. "Are you sure we're talking about the same Woo Bin?" she asked again, just to make sure. She knew there were thousands of Woo Bins around. Perhaps this was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Oh please let this be a mistake.

Hee Won leaned back on her chair and crossed her arms in front of her. She stared at Hye Jin's face a little too long. Long enough to make her uncomfortable.

Even more uncomfortable than she already was.

When Hee Won spoke, her tone was condescending. "Song Woo Bin. Heir of a construction empire? Tall, dark and handsome? Playboy extraordinaire?"

"Was," Hye Jin corrected.

"Um. What?"

"He was a playboy."

Hee Won sneered. "Obviously, he still is."

Hye Jin took a deep breath. She closed her eyes and counted to ten, hoping it was just a dream. She opened her eyes and Hee Won was still giving her a dirty look.

Okay, take it easy. Something's not adding up here.

"How come he's never mentioned you before?" She asked. It would have been weird to have been going out with Woo Bin for over 6 months and not have heard anything about a fiancée, wouldn't it? Wouldn't his friends know? Surely they would have mentioned it to her? Jan Di and Ga Eul had become her close friends, her confidantes. They would have told her, wouldn't they? She didn't think they were that sort of people.

"Duh. Obviously because he didn't want you to know." Hee Won folded her arms on the table and leaned closer. "Maybe he didn't want to hurt your tiny, sensitive feelings?"

Something about the way she said it made Hye Jin fume inside. I'll show you tiny! The urge to smack the girl in front of her almost overcame her common sense. If there weren't that many people around them, she probably would have done it too. She normally hated confrontation and avoided conflict at all cost. But Hee Won was certainly testing her. She still couldn't believe Woo Bin would want to marry someone like Hee Won.