Chapter 19

"Being friends with your ex shows that you two are mature enough to get over the fact that you weren't meant to be together." - Unknown

Chapter 19

She fell asleep in his arms, and they laid on the bed side by side until her pager woke her up. The sound of his steady breathing was the most beautiful sound in the world to her ears. She snuggled closer to him, feeling the warmth of his body against hers, forgetting for a moment that they were lying on top of an extremely narrow hospital bed. His arms subconsciously pulled her even tighter, sending tingling currents all over her body. Her breathing quickened, her heart thumping so loud she was certain the entire hospital could hear it, so she tried hard to rein in the desire that arrived at the wrong place and at the wrong time.

She pulled away from him, ever so gently, so as not to wake him up. Even though she barely got two hours of sleep, she felt refreshed. She stared at him for a few minutes, stroking his hair as he slept.

Ji Hoo was back. And he remembered her. He remembered her!

I should never have doubted him.

He opened his eyes groggily, and gave her a lopsided smile. He grabbed her hand, the one that was stroking his hair, and gave the back of it a small kiss before placing it on top of his heart. He held it there as they stared at each other in silence.

No words needed to be said between them, as their eyes conveyed what they wanted to say.

Relief. Joy. Love.

Her pager beeped again and she looked at it, slightly annoyed.

Why do they keep paging me?

Ji Hoo arched an eyebrow. "Aren't you going to answer your pager?"

She grinned. "I wasn't really planning on it."

"Might be important?"

Not as important as this.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

"They're not going to leave me alone until I answer, are they?" Jan Di scowled.

Ji Hoo chuckled. "I doubt it."

Gosh, I missed that smile.

Seeing Ji Hoo smile again made her heart do three consecutive flips. She tore her eyes reluctantly away from him and picked up the phone.

"Doctor Geum Jan Di here. You paged?"

The nurse at the front desk seemed to notice the slight annoyance in her voice. "I'm sorry to bother you, Doctor Geum, but your friends are here. They've been waiting to come in for quite some time now?"

"Oh." She felt a little stab of guilt.

"Should I let them in or tell them to come back?"

"No, no. Tell them to come in. Thank you, Nurse Ha Ri."

"You're welcome, Dr. Geum."

She had forgotten that she told the front desk not to let anyone in Ji Hoo's room until she said it was okay.

Well, by "anyone" I really meant Eun Mi.

Their friends started trickling in not even five minutes later.

"Well look who's awake!" Yi Jung exclaimed cheerfully as he stepped into the room.

Ga Eul, Hye Jin and Woo Bin were right behind him. Hye Jin held a huge bouquet of flowers, while Ga Eul had a basket of fruit in her arms. They both passed this onto Jan Di, who placed it on top of the little gray desk in the room. Ji Hoo had only been there for less than two days, and his room already looked like a flower shop, as patients and coworkers dropped flowers off to wish him well.