Chapter 13

"The one who loves you will never leave you. Even if there are a hundred reasons to give up, they will find one reason to hold on." - Unknown

Chapter 13

Jan Di woke up in pain.

Her stomach was cramping something fierce. She winced as she tried to stand up and go to the kitchen. Every month, she had to deal with this kind of cramping, and one would think she would be prepared for it by now. But no, it took her by surprise every single time.

She opened the drawer and took out some ibuprofen. She knew she should be taking it with a meal so as not to upset her stomach, but the pain was almost too much for her to bear so she swallowed the pill and hoped for the best.

Sometimes, doctors don't heed their own advice. She thought, glumly.

She shuffled back to her bed and laid down for a bit, waiting for the medication to take effect.

One consolation she had that day was that she didn't have to go to work. In fact, she and Ji Hoo had a special date that night. He was going to take her to a fancy restaurant – one that was ridiculously hard to get reservations for. If it weren't for Grandfather Yoon's connections, they wouldn't have been able to get in.

They normally didn't go out to fancy restaurants, but Ji Hoo suggested since she went to a nice restaurant with Jun Pyo, he wanted to take her to one, too. She fretted about what to wear on their date and told him she probably didn't have anything nice enough for it, but he answered in typical Ji Hoo fashion that anything she wore would be nice enough for him.

"Noona!" Kang San's voice called out from outside her door.

She couldn't even bring herself to shout back at him. She lay there, eyes closed, wishing for anything to make the pain go away.

"Noona?" Kang San opened her door an inch. "Are you okay?"

"Mmmhmm."

"There's a package for you." Kang San walked in and placed a beautifully wrapped box right on her night stand. "Do you need anything?" He asked, looking at her with concern. Since Jan Di and her friends helped Kang San in the preliminaries, Kang San had been nothing but nice to Jan Di.

She shook her head. "Thanks." She managed to choke out.

As soon as he left, Jan Di tried to sit up and reach for the massive white box.

It had a bright blue sparkly ribbon wrapped around it. And a card taped to the front.

"I knew you wouldn't stop worrying about what to wear tonight, so here's a little present."

It was signed by Ji Hoo.

For a moment, the cramps disappeared and she couldn't help her excitement as she opened the box.

She gasped as she took out the dress.

It was the most beautiful dress she had ever seen (well, aside from her wedding dress). It was a lavender, off-the-shoulder floor-length dress, made up mostly of tulle, with lace appliques all over the bodice. Underneath the dress was a pair of heels that went perfectly with the dress.

Her excitement about their date that night intensified. Forgetting the pain for a moment, she tried to imagine how to fix her hair to complement her entire outfit.

Maybe I'll put it up. That would show off my shoulders and neck. Ji Hoo would like that.

She sat there, daydreaming, until she realized the pain was gone. Her mood had already improved significantly and now that the pain was gone, she felt that she could conquer anything.