Chapter 17

"What's the difference," she asked him, "between the love of your life and your soulmate?"

He smiled at her and answered, "One is a choice, and one is not." - Unknown

Chapter 17

"Are...are you sure, Sunbae?" Jan Di stammered. She was still clutching the table, terrified her legs might give out if she let go.

"When I got there, he wasn't moving." Woo Bin lowered his eyes. "I couldn't feel a pulse, and he wouldn't answer me no matter what I did." When he raised his eyes again, it was cold and hard. He looked ready to punch the wall. "I was furious. I ran after those men as soon as the ambulance arrived."

"What men? They h-hurt him?"

Woo Bin's silence was all the answer she needed.

Jan Di ran to the ER, completely unprepared for the sight that beheld her. Her knees buckled when she saw Ji Hoo lying on the hospital bed.

All her years of training went out the window. Her Ji Hoo lay there, hair matted with blood. His face... his beautiful face... was caked in dirt and dried blood. His clothes were splashed in red. He was almost unrecognizable.

No, it can't be. This isn't Ji Hoo. There must be a mistake.

Her Ji Hoo was always flawless, impeccable. He would never wear blood-stained clothes. And he never got hurt.

This was not her Ji Hoo.

She looked at his hand and saw the ring that adorned his finger. A sob tried to break free from her throat.

No, no, no. It's just a bad dream. A really horrible dream. I need to wake up now.

The doctor in the room, Dr. Park, gave her an acknowledging nod. She had met Dr. Park while on rotation at the hospital. He knew her and knew what Ji Hoo meant to her.

"We've managed to stop the bleeding on his forehead," Dr. Park said. "I'm going to sew it up as soon as we clean him up a little."

Jan Di nodded mechanically, but her eyes never left Ji Hoo's face.

"We won't know much until we run some tests. His pulse is stable now, though."

She stared at Ji Hoo. His eyes were closed, his breathing shallow.

"Is he... asleep?" Jan Di croaked. Fear clamped her heart.

"They found a needle at the scene so I think he might have been drugged." Dr. Park's eyebrows creased. "I won't know for sure until we get the lab results back."

"Why would they drug him?" She asked, unable to believe what she was hearing. "Who would do such a thing?"

"I don't know. But we're going to have to change his clothes and clean him up so we can examine him better." He looked at her questioningly. "Did you want to help?"

Jan Di slowly shook her head. A part of her wanted to be there with him. But her mind and her body were still in shock. She doubt she would be able to concentrate long enough to be of help. She was sure if she saw any more injuries on him, she would faint. Or maybe throw up. Her head felt woozy. She turned to Woo Bin. "We should step out for a few minutes."

Woo Bin held her by the elbow as they stepped outside the room. She collapsed onto the nearest chair as soon as the door closed.

"Wh-what happened?" She asked him. "Why would they... Who would hurt him?"

"I don't know, exactly. I got a message that he was in trouble and by the time I got there, he was on the ground." Woo Bin's face was pure rage. "But I will find the guys that did this to him, mark my words. My men are out there looking for them right now." He clenched his fists. "I won't stop until they're found. They'll regret this."