Chapter 5

"Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Chapter 5:

Jan Di arrived at Ji Hoo's house early one morning to find him looking very frustrated as he bent over a pot of boiling water in his kitchen.

Grandfather sat in the corner watching Ji Hoo with great amusement. He kept chuckling every now and again.

"What's going on?" She asked, as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Ji Hoo's trying to cook us breakfast," Grandfather Yoon answered. "And it's not pancakes."

Jan Di raised an eyebrow. Ji Hoo had been trying to learn how to cook lately. He said it was so he could cook for her when they lived in Canada, since she wouldn't be able to do much after the surgery. Most of it he ended up throwing in the trash, though one or two dishes that he made turned out alright. Still, Jan Di had to give him an "A" for effort.

Ji Hoo took an egg from the carton and cracked it open on top of the pot. He peered in closely, looking quite expectant, then sighed and muttered something incoherent under his breath.

Jan Di noticed he had a recipe book open on the table. She looked at the page and read: "Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce."

"Why won't it form right?" She heard him complain. He kept dropping one egg after another in the pot. After several words of frustrated mumbling, he would put the pot in the sink, grab another pot from the drawer, fill it with water, and start over. Jan Di saw there were at least 4 pots already piled up on the sink.

"Breakfast AND a show!" Grandfather exclaimed, completely entertained by the sight in front of him.

She went to stand beside him and looked in the pot. It was cloudy and she couldn't see where the egg went.

"I think you're going to need more eggs. You've only gone through two dozen so far." Grandfather pointed at the sink, which was full of dishes and discarded food items. "If I knew you'd get into making breakfast, I would have bought you some egg-layers for your birthday!"

She saw the frustration written all over Ji Hoo's face.

"Let me help you," she offered. He looked at her and gave a resigned nod.

Together both of them tried and tried, and, after a few failed attempts, finally managed to get the hang of it. (Which was a good thing because they really were out of eggs).

They sat down for a late breakfast, hungrily (but happily) forking down Ji Hoo's latest cooking venture.

"I had it in Canada with Grandfather last year," Ji Hoo explained. "I wanted you to try it."

"It's really good," she said, between bites. "Thank you."

"I think you did most of the work."

"So, what are you two lovebirds up to today?" Grandfather Yoon asked, looking from Ji Hoo to Jan Di.

"I have work later, Grandfather," Jan Di replied. "And I think Ji Hoo is on night shift tonight." Ji Hoo was scheduled on night shift for the next few nights.

Ji Hoo nodded in agreement. He then turned to face Grandfather. "Did you want to hang out with me today? We haven't had a chance to do anything together in a while."

Grandfather looked at him inquiringly. "Shouldn't you get some sleep?"

"Nah. I don't need that much sleep."

"Hah! This coming from the boy who used to do nothing but nap all day."

Ji Hoo grinned. "So, what do you say Grandfather? Should we go fishing? Watch a show? Let's do something before you leave tomorrow."