Chapter 18

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails." - 1 Corinthians 13:17

Chapter 18

"Still asleep, huh?" Dr. Park's throaty voice sliced into Jan Di's thoughts. She had been reminiscing about happier days with Ji Hoo, mainly thinking about being in his arms once again.

"Yes, he is."

"Don't you worry. He'll be alright." The friendly doctor gave her shoulder a quick pat, his graying hair indicating years of experience in their profession.

"Thank you, doctor."

"I have to warn you though - he may be a little disoriented when he wakes up." He rubbed his chin. "Temporary loss of memory is also not uncommon with head traumas. Although his scans came back clear, I'd advise you to be prepared."

"I... I will, doctor."

She knew there was a chance, but she tried to push those thoughts away.

Everything will be okay.

"You look like you need to sleep yourself." Dr. Park observed.

Jan Di winced. "I'm fine."

To her relief, Dr. Park didn't object, obviously aware she wasn't about to leave Ji Hoo to go to sleep. He turned around to leave.

"Doctor?" Jan Di called out.

"Yes?"

"Can I take over the nursing duties for him? At least until he wakes up?"

"I don't see that as a problem. His IV was just changed so he shouldn't need anything for several hours."

She gave him a small smile. "Thank you, Dr. Park."

The doctor gave a slight dip of the head and then went out.

Jan Di exhaled, letting her body relax a little. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her of its need for food, so she reluctantly opened the bag Yi Jung had brought her. Inside was kalguksu, which was a type of noodle soup, and though the soup was now cold she slurped a few spoonfuls to ease the gnawing pain in her stomach. She finished the entire bowl before she even realized it.

I guess I was hungry.

A yawn escaped her mouth without her permission. She tried to widen her eyes, even forcing them open with her fingers, but found it getting heavier by the second.

Must... stay... awake.

To keep herself busy, she took a wet towel and started carefully wiping his fingers. His hand had scratches and bruises on them, and he had a few scratches on his face. She stroked his cheek tenderly, then leaned over to kiss his forehead, even though a huge bandage covered most of it.

"You know, I wouldn't let them cut your hair."

She pinned his hair back so as not to interfere with the bandage.

"I didn't think you'd like that. They wanted to shave it, even! Can you imagine? i mean, I'm sure you'd still look cute, but still."

Talking to him out loud helped, she found out. She imagined him looking at her, smiling that smile only meant for her.

I miss you, Ji Hoo.

The monitor continued to beep steadily, the only other sound in the room aside from her voice.

"Oh, and I haven't told Grandfather or my family yet." She scrunched her lips. "I don't want to worry them, especially Grandfather. I'll let you tell him when you wake up. I know you'll wake soon." Her voice lowered to a whisper. "You have to."