XXIV

WARNING: MENTION OF DRUGS, NEGATIVE THOUGHTSAGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR

***

Dan's POV

Patrick led me to his apartment, which I had never been to, although we had known each other for a long time because of my drug history. He probably didn't let everyone in here either, since he certainly didn't want to risk that some crazy junkie would break into him and steal from him.

Luckily, as it is so often the case, he threw one of his famous parties in the scene and the cocaine that I had just bought from him flowed again through my veins.

I looked around, with a glass full of the hardest alcohol I could find, and struggled through each caustic sip as I eyed the guests one by one. If I searched long enough, I would find someone.

Long, dark hair caught my eye.

Yes, she would be my victim for that night and I went up to her, tapped her on the shoulder and smiled at her. She replied and silently brought her glass of champagne to her mouth to sip on, without taking her eyes off me.

"Good evening." I greeted her in a deep voice and she turned completely to me, which was enough for me as a sign that she would at least engage in a conversation with me in which I could let my charm play.

"Hey. Are you a friend of Patrick's?" She asked somewhat cautiously and I grinned a little wider.

"Can say so." I replied and her look told me that she was interested. Maybe she had the same plan I did tonight.

Some time and a lot of flirting later we sat together on a couch between all the other party guests who were dancing, had also taken a seat, or just stood around and talked while I put my hand meaningfully on her knee.

"You have very beautiful eyes, you know that?" She complimented me and I swallowed hard.

"Thank you." I said hoarsely and cleared my throat unobtrusively. "You too." I added without further ado, although it was only then that I really looked into her eyes. They were light blue, so it looked almost gray, just like Phil's.

"Do we want to sit around here any more or will you kiss me sometime?" She asked me indirectly and I gathered myself, trying not to show anything. I took her face in my hands and gently pulled her closer to me, pressed my lips to hers, concentrated.

"I have to go for a moment. I'll be right back." I told her and buried my trembling hands in the pockets of my sweatshirt jacket.

I got up quickly and disappeared into the toilet to provide supplies. At the same time I tried to displace Phil.

I stumbled out of the bathroom and bumped into Patrick, who was pouring two of his guests. My mind blurred and I took the bottle away from him, took a long sip of it before I saw his horror.

"Sorry, you will get it again." I said, slowly floating in other spheres and looking for my acquaintance to disappear with her from here.

I pulled her by the hand from the sofa on which she was talking to another young woman, but if she didn't want to come too, she was just annoying.

"Come on, I want to show you my apartment. It's not far from here." I said and she followed me in amazement, but amused. Seemed to be a romantic gesture, although this had nothing to do with romance.

As I said, sometimes it was almost too easy.

And only the moment I heard a keychain fall to the ground did I wake up from my intoxication, remembering the here and now.

I was lying in my bed with the brunette from the party, naked, her painted fingernails buried in my skin. We were in my apartment. Where did the sound come from?