Back to the Red Room

Welcome to my one-shots! I am open to requests (no smut) and would love to hear your ideas. If you like this story, check out my Avengers x Reader story, Just Different (completed).

Synopsis: Bucky and Natasha go back to Russia to rescue a close friend, (Y/N), from the Red Room.

"I just can't leave her there forever. She was the closest thing I ever had to a sister," Natasha told the Avengers. 

"Romanoff, I get that, but a full-on break-in into the Red Room is not one of your best ideas," Tony countered, sitting down in the chair next to her. 

"It's been 10 years!"

The rest of the Avengers shuffled on their feet. They wanted to help, they really did, but the KGB was no joke. Even if they did launch a mission to save Natasha's closest friend, (Y/N), they didn't know if the real (Y/N) was even there. According to recent missions, the KGB and HYDRA have been upping their brainwashing game, hoping to avoid another one of their agents joining SHIELD. The (Y/N) Natasha knew may not be the same person.

"Can I at least try?" Natasha asked, biting her lip. The Black Widow never cried, but Natasha could see the little water droplets piling in her eyes. 

Bucky noticed this but decided not to point anything out to her. She hated being seen as weak and emotional.

"Even if we did launch a mission, it would be another couple of months. Our mission queue is filled up," Bruce sighed. 

"Guys, you've seen the footage. I can't let (Y/N) suffer in that place anymore. Their experiments will slowly kill her!"

"Romanoff, we have no --," Steve started.

"I'll go with her," Bucky said.

Everyone in the room stared at him with shock rippling across their faces. 

"Bucky," Steve said. 

Bucky shook his head. "Natasha and I will stay out of the mission today; it's not too complicated. Besides, I knew (Y/N) and trained her. She was one of the strongest of the Red Room's trainees. You could tell that her mind wasn't completely under control, but she didn't admit it to anyone in order to avoid torture or more brainwashing sessions. She'll recognize Romanoff and me."

Natasha smiled at Bucky and waited for more protests, but none came. When you have two powerful assassins agreeing on something, nobody decides to argue with them. 

"Alright then. Avengers, suit up," Steve announced.

Natasha was already suited up, knowing as soon as she proposed her idea to the team, she was going to win. Bucky already had all of his weapons strapped to himself.

"Thank you," Natasha told Bucky as soon as everyone else left the room. 

Bucky shook his head as they walked to the plane. "Don't. I'm close to her too. I just needed a chance to break her out, and hear it is."

"She wasn't like the rest of them," Natasha said, powering up the plane. "She cried every night as soon as the Mistress left. Everyone else didn't care about what they were doing to each other. She did, and I can't imagine how she's dealing with all the guilt now."

"We're going to help her."

Natasha's hands shook as she piloted the plane over the ocean. Natasha really wanted to help her friend, no, sister. But (Y/N) had gone through a whole ten years of torture and brainwashing. What if she had stopped fighting and finally surrendered to them? (Y/N) also had another 10 years of training. If she wanted to, she could probably take down Bucky and Natasha easily.