Red

DISCLAIMER: ANY AND ALL HATEFUL/NEGATIVE COMMENTS WILL BE IGNORED AND PROMPTLY REMOVED. THIS IS A SAFE SPACE.

word count: 5,180

warnings: angst, dubious consent, safe words, knife play, language, some smutty themes

description: Unused to J's usual roughness, reader is forced to use their safe word for the first time.

divider created by firefly-graphics on Tumblr. 

The night wasn't quiet anymore

The night wasn't quiet anymore. No one knew what the word quiet even meant it seemed like. The city was loud. Lights, people, noises everywhere...

Car alarms and horns sounded through the streets, neighbors shouting at each other and the standard happenings of city life always disturbed the silence. It was never quiet in Gotham.

You sat on the roof of your apartment complex, holding your knees to your chest. It looked like it could have been broad daylight from how many lights there were in the city. The ambient light drowned out all the starlight. You couldn't see a single speck in the black void of night sky.

He was out there somewhere, in the vast expanse of buildings as far as the eye could see. Joker was out there. Some nights you waited for him like this if you had nothing better to do. Your mind wandered over where he might be or what he might be doing out there. He did all kinds of things that you were not privy to and in a way you were thankful for that, even though you always wondered.

He never did his work close to you, or at least he tried not to. You never heard any gunfire or explosions anywhere near you or the apartment. On occasion, however, you could see the bat symbol projected into the sky as the detectives attempted to contact the masked vigilante. You secretly wondered how much those callings had to do with the Joker.

Gotham was a strange sort of place. Perhaps you were the only one who realized it, but the Batman had done little to even protect the city. He did as much as he could, which was as much as any one man could do and possibly a little more. But the Joker was smarter. Faster. Stronger. Better. You had been more protected and safe in the Joker's arms than you ever had been leaving the city's protection up to some guy dressed as a bat.

But even so, perhaps that was because the Joker was always near you. He had eyes on you constantly and with any little threat towards you he would swiftly take care of it and make it disappear. He kept you more safe than anyone else out there could have even dreamed of and you couldn't ignore that fact. That's how he had gotten close and stayed that way. When he saw something he liked, no matter what it was, he would do everything in his power to get it.

The gentle summer breeze blew wisps of your hair against your cheeks and you crossed your arms over your chest, bringing your open sweater to wrap around you tighter. It was still just cool enough that you needed long sleeves. You lived in this sweater anyhow. There might have been a few days here and there when it needed a wash that you wouldn't be able to wear it, but five days out of the week it was on your body. It was large and roomy and had buttons down the side in case you got too chilly and needed to button up. You loved it and felt at home wearing it.