Quarantine

DISCLAIMER: ANY AND ALL HATEFUL/NEGATIVE COMMENTS WILL BE IGNORED AND PROMPTLY REMOVED. THIS IS A SAFE SPACE.

word count: 2,366

warnings: angst, depression, anxiety, fear based on current events

description: Reader is falling apart in the midst of the sudden outbreak and J is left to pick up the pieces.

divider created by firefly-graphics on Tumblr. 

The feeling wrapped around you like a thick fog as it suffocated you

The feeling wrapped around you like a thick fog as it suffocated you. It felt like you had gulped down lungfuls of smoke, like a weight had been placed on your shoulders and a fist was wrapped tight around your heart, squeezing and forcing it to beat harder to keep you alive.

Every breath you took made you feel like you were shackled and your chest burned with the effort of holding back tears. This ugly feeling came out of nowhere and it surprised you that it had gotten this bad so suddenly. You just wanted to hide.

You couldn't hold back the tears much longer. You got up from the couch and started to walk towards the bedroom. You didn't stop to think that J would notice something was wrong. You didn't really care if he did or not. The deep, aching feeling had such a tight hold on you that you almost forgot that he was even there.

"Where do you think you're going?" J's words, though possessive, came out smooth and soft. You weren't used to that tone on him. He must have been getting tired. It was late after all.

You didn't even look at him, "I'm going to bed."

"Really?" He didn't sound like he believed you, "You never go before I do."

The tears were threatening to spill over again and you kept your head turned so that he couldn't see your face, "I don't feel very good. I need to sleep..."

"What's the matter sweets? Are you sick?" J asked bluntly, seeking answers.

"No. I'm not sick," you said, "just tired."

"Want me to join you?"

You looked at him finally and shook your head, giving him a weak smile, "No, you don't have to. I'm sure you have some things you'd like to do."

He heavily hoisted himself off the couch and let out a soft grunt, "In case you've forgotten, little lady, but the entire world is...shut down. What do you expect me to do?"

He eyed you quizzically, almost as if you were the crazy one. Him looking at you that way, as if you'd lost your marbles, was enough to make anyone go insane. You hadn't forgotten. You just didn't want to be reminded.

"I don't know, J..." you exhaled in defeat, "go looting? Steal shit that isn't nailed down? The world is your oyster."

"That is completely irrational," he scoffed, "especially coming from you. I can't get sick. I wouldn't risk putting you in that kind of danger."