2.1

A quick A/N before we start, The Assistant will be drawing to a close soon *sobs*, but not to worry I am working on a new story! So for these Final chapters I'll be posting my favourite pictures of Ashton because, well it's Ashton and why not :) so enjoy and vote, comment and all that jazz! Love you guys, peace out! Niamh xoxo

.........

After the long flight to Australia I was tired and stiff, and my plane was diverted to Brisbane due to bad weather. I paced the terminal waiting for my connecting flight to Sydney. My phone went off in my hand and Luke's name flashed across the screen. I automatically answered.

"Hey Luke, I'm still waiting on my flight, everything's just mental here and ugh! How's Ash? He doesn't know I'm coming right? Coz then that totally-"

"Ali" Luke said, his voice low and serious.

"What?" I asked, "Luke you're scaring me"

"Ali there's been an accident" he said and took a breath.

"What?" I asked shocked.

"It's Ash. He was in a car accident. He's in hospital, he's in surgery now"

"Oh my god" I breathed out, "I'm on my way. They're boarding the plane now ok. Tell Anne I'll be there as quick as I can" I said hanging up. I sprinted to the boarding desk and ran through the tunnel connecting to the plane. I got looks from people as I dodged round them but it did not concern me, all I could think about was Ashton. I fidgeted in my seat the whole flight and couldn't help but think the worst of things.

No, Ashton was going to be fine. He was strong and determined, nothing could stop him.

As soon as my plane landed and the doors opened I was gone. I grabbed my hand luggage and ran. I got through customs and into arrivals. I looked around and spotted Michael waiting on me. I ran towards him and he opened his arms, wrapping them around me. I held onto his jacket and for the first time I cried. The love of my life was in hospital, and I didn't even know what was happening.

"Come on, let's get going" Michael said leading me out of the airport to a car. The car ride was silent. I tapped my fingers across my lap impatiently, wishing Michael would speed up. We eventually pulled into the hospital car park and I followed Michael inside. He led me to where Anne, Lauren and Harry were. It seemed to be a waiting room for families. There were leather recliners and a few other chairs scattered around along with a coffee machine.

"Ali" Lauren cried running to me. I held her close to me and kissed her temple.

"Shh darling it's alright. I'm here" I whispered to her as she clung to me, crying into my shoulder. I smoothed her hair and rubbed her back. She pulled away and Anne took me into her arms.

"How is he? Where is he?" I asked.

"He's out of theatre. He's in recovery and we'll be told when we can see him in ICU. He had several cracked and broken ribs, and a punctured lung. He broke an arm and now has some pins in that. He's black and blue all over from the accident" she told me as I sat down. Lauren sat one side of me and Harry the other. I took their hands in mine, just a small reassurance for them that I was there.

"How did it happen?" I asked no one in particular.

"A drunk driver slammed into him. He was on his way to the airport" Lauren said.

"I might have let it slip you were on your way, and well he couldn't wait" Michael said.

I closed my eyes and held in tears. I knew once she sad airport that meant he was going to see me. I felt awful.

"Now sweetie it's not your fault alright, it's just one of those things" Anne said. She obviously knew by the look on my face she knew that's what I was thinking. I gave her a nod, as Luke and Calum entered the room. I stood up and walked to the two of them, throwing my arms around each of them. They squeezed me back and I took my position back between Lauren and Harry.

After an hour, but felt more like a year, a doctor in his scrubs entered the room.

"All for Ashton Irwin?" He asked and we nodded.

"His surgery went well. We fixed his lung and arm, there's several pins in his arm to help it heal properly. His lung was punctured and he's on a ventilator now to help. He'll be on that for a few days just to give his lung some chance to recover. We're keeping him sedated for a day or two as well to give his body a chance to get over the shock and impact of the accident" he said.

"Can we see him?" I asked.

"You are?" the doctor questioned.

"His wife. And I'm his mother" Anne said. The doctor nodded.

"Yes you can. Two people at a time, but only family" he said looking at Calum, Michael and Luke. We all nodded. "I'll get a nurse to bring you in in a few minutes"

"Mum I want to see him" Lauren said. Anne shook her head.

"Mum please" Lauren begged.

"No Lauren, your mum's right" I said and she looked at me.

"Have I ever lied to you?" I asked and she shook her head no.

"Then you'll know I'm telling the truth when I say ICU is a scary place, alright? I've been there myself at your age and if I could I wouldn't want to do it again. I promise I'm not keeping you away from your brother, but it's not a good place for you or Harry, once he's stronger and out of there, you can see him all you want, ok?" I said and she nodded as the tears slipped down her cheeks. I wiped them away and hugged her tight. I heard a sniffle behind me and looked to find Harry with tears rolling down his face. I opened one arm and he crashed into my side, clinging to me tightly. I kissed each of their heads as a nurse came to take us through. Calum took over my place and held the kids in his arms. I blew them a kiss and took Anne's hand tightly in mine.

We followed behind the nurse. The beeping of machines making my heart race. I felt uneasy, like I'd throw up at any moment. Ashton was in a private room on his own. I peeped in the window and could make out the cast on his arm under the thin sheets.

"Now don't be alarmed when you go in. There's lots of wires and tubes but they all have a purpose" the nurse informed us. Anne's grip tightened around my hand slightly. I took a shaky breath before we walked in.

The sight made my mouth dry up. My poor Ashton was lying in a bed looking so fragile and broken. He was hooked up to numerous tubes and wires, some for monitoring his heart rate and blood pressure, others feeding him what ever medicine he needed. The most shocking sight was the tube for the ventilator that was in his mouth and held in place by a strap around his neck. I took shaky steps to his bed side and took his hand in mine. His was cold, it didn't feel right. I gave it a squeeze, letting his sedated form know I was here. My mind went blank, the rest of the world faded out, all my focus was on him. Nothing else in that second mattered to me. The faint hospital smell kept me some what grounded and in cheek but all I could see was Ashton lying here in front of me. I took a seat, a slowly reached up to his hair. I ran a hand through his curls and slowly down his cheek, being carful of the tubes. A few tears trickled down my cheeks and I felt Anne rub my shoulders.

"I'll give you a minute ok" she whispered and I just nodded.

I let out a shaky breath as I wiped away some tears.

"Hey you" I whispered, "I know you were on your way when this happened. Oh Ash I forgive you. I'm here ok you don't need to win me back I'm right here. You have me and I'm not going anywhere, you're stuck with me. I love you so much Ash, please just make it through. Please"

I kissed his hand softly, and stood up as a nurse came into check machines. I left her alone and walked back out in a daze to the family room. I sat in a chair without say a word, and Harry walked over before anyone else could. He took my hand, and my lip trembled. He leaned over and wrapped his arms around my back, I cried into his shoulder while the two of us clung onto each other.

Ashton would get through this. I needed him too. I couldn't think of what would happen if he didn't.