Episode 12: oNe oF THoSe gIRls

Marcus had rushed to where I was seated, sat down beside me and placed his his hands on my jaw. He tilted my head to get a better look.

I could barely focus. His cologne filled my nostrils, it smelled musky, woodsy. His hair was neatly styled and he was wearing a suit like he had just gotten off work.

"Lora, tell me who did this to you," He said. He was calm, but concerned. My heart was melting. "Don't worry, I just got into an altercation with my dad," I said. His eyes widened, "Your own father did this to you?" He asked voice dripping with worry.

"Did you call the police?" He asked. "That's what I said!" Charlotte yelled. "No, I cut my family off. I won't ever have to worry about them again," I said. "Good, I can't believe someone hurt you like this," He said.

"You don't have to worry, ill be fine," I smiled. "No, I do have to worry. This can't happen again," He said. "Don't worry about going to work until this heals, I'll talk to Mr. Hill about it," He said. "It's gonna be okay," He said brushing my cheek.

"Ricky I think that's our que to leave!" Charlotte called out to Ricky who was cleaning up the spilled soup. "No, I should leave. I came unexpectedly, I should have called but it was a busy day. We're still settling the California accounts," He said. "Is that where you went?" I asked. He nodded, "Yeah, There still iffy on investing such a huge amount of money. Mr. Hill was on the phone with them today. I think I might had to go back and finish things up," He said.

"How much are they putting in?" I asked. "Three point three billion. It'll be the largest account we ever have," He said. My eyes nearly fell out of my head. "Your so good at your job Marcus," I gushed. He chuckled, "Thanks," He said.

He looked at Charlotte. "Oh-I'll go step over there, give you some privacy," She said getting up.

Marcus turned to look at me. "I'm sorry this happened. I'm sorry it ruined our date today," He said. "You were gonna take me on a date?" I smiled. "Yeah, I was gonna surprise you after work. I got reservations at this new restaurant in Soho," He said. I felt butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"But don't worry, I'll post pone our date till you get better," He said. "Ok," I said. "And some of the promises I made over the phone. Those can wait too. I just want you to be okay," He said. "I am-I mean now that your here. I'm good," I said. He smiled.

"Take the rest of the week off, be back on Monday," He said. He placed a kiss on my forehead. "Feel better," He whispered, then he got up.

I watched him wave goodbye to everyone and make his way to the door. Then he left

-

My eyes fluttered open. The day light was streaming into my room through the window. I felt so energized, I could get used to sleeping in. I had spent the rest of the week smiling like an idiot. Also enjoying my time off. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I did some house chores and took out my braids. I took a bath every night, candles, essential oils and all, cooked a few new recipes, watched a couple movies. It was rejuvenating after an awful time with my family, all thanks to Marcus. The bruise had almost completely healed and the cut on my lip was barely there anymore.

It was Saturday morning now. After Marcus had left on Tuesday, Ricky and Charlotte stayed to listen to me gush. I told them about his surprise date plan.

Today I was meeting them go shopping. Get some new clothes. I had lost a four more pounds over the couple of days I was home. They were right, I started to really pay attention in the mirror. Something I never did and my clothes did look baggy. I had noticed my pants without drawstrings no longer fit, I had just been tying the belt tighter and tighter.

I showered and got ready. The only thing that was fitting me well were some biker shorts that I had recently bought. I paired it with one of my shirts, now looking little to big for me.

After grabbing my bag and my keys I headed out the door.

-

"Which skirt do you think will get Lora's cheeks clapped faster?" Charlotte said holding up two pencil skirts.

We were at our third clothing store, my feet were tired and I wasn't entirely sure exactly what we bought. I let them take control of the shopping because they both had amazing style. I envied how feminine Charlotte's office clothing was, I couldn't wait for her to make the same decisions for me.

I never really had much style, it always felt as if I couldn't wear what I wanted because I wouldn't look good in it. At the office, I mainly wore loose fitting clothing to hide what was going on underneath. The feeling of being unattractive wasn't a good one. Years if looking down on myself did so much damage to my self esteem.

But I could tell I was getting a bit better, now finally having the courage to wear what I wanted.

"Ooo, definitely the black one," Ricky said. "Ugh your gonna look so banging on Monday," Ricky said. "Now try on this pencil skirt," He said handing it over to me. The skirt was something I had seen many different business women wear down at Wall Street. I envied them, conventionally attractive smart business women, I never thought I was gonna be one of those girls.

I was finally gonna be one of those girls.

-

Note: hello everyone. My family has been going through a medical emergency for a bit now. Im sorry for kinda ghosting but I'm really trying to balance everything. Its a quick chapter but I hope you enjoy.