Chapter 19: Grandma's advice

Flashback to when Bryce was in Maryland

Bryce point of view:

My mom just left for work and probably won't be back until way later since she has a very important meeting today. I didn't want to be alone for that long so I decided I would go over to my grandma's for the day.

I call an Uber and he arrives a few minutes later. The whole way there I got more excited to see her and tell her all about Addison.

We get to her house and I tell the Uber driver thank you as I get out of the car. I ring the doorbell and my sweet little old grandma appears. "Bryce, sweetie! I can't believe you came! Come in and take a seat, I was just finishing up the laundry but that can wait," she moves out of the way for me. "So you're mom has told me all about how you got a new girlfriend, tell me about her," my grandma sits down next to me on her floral print couch. "Well there's a lot to say about her but I'll make it short and say that she's the most gorgeous and sweetest girl you'd ever meet," I smile at the thought of her. "Can I see a picture?" she asks me. Everyone wants to see my girlfriend, can't blame them though. "Wow Bryce, you really got a good one!" my grandma tells me as she looks at the picture I showed her. "Yeah I know, the best one," I look at the photo.

"How long have you been together?" she asks me. "I asked her to officially be my girlfriend right before I left for here," "Oh so not that long, I would have thought that you two were married by the way you talk about her and the way you're looking at the photo," she tells me. "Married? You're crazy, that won't happen for a very long time, maybe never," I mumble that last part. "Wait, you don't plan on marrying this girl?" my grandma's expression changed from happy to very confused. I don't even know how she heard that, she's 85 years old. "I don't know, it was hard for me to even ask her to be my girlfriend. My past has rui-" I say and get cut off by her, "Bryce! Don't let that stupid girl from you're past ruin you're future!" My grandma tells me. "Yeah, I think it's crazy to say that I love her," I say and quickly regret it, I haven't said those words out loud before.

"You love her? And you say that you don't want to marry her, or take the risk to do so, Bryce," she turns my head to face hers, "If you truly love this girl, with all your heart, then you won't let some silly girl from you're past ruin that! You just told me you loved her and that you've only been dating for a few weeks, what does that mean to you? That to me sounds like true love. And I know this might be hard to hear, but you need to forget about that bitch from before and look at what you have now! You have a gorgeous girlfriend that apparently has a heart of gold, do you know how many people strive to have that In their lives? A lot of people, Bryce, a lot! If I were you, then I would take advantage of that, not in a bad way, but in a way to prove you love her. Go out and buy a ring for her, and I mean that! I don't mean a real ring, just a promise ring for now. But it proves that you, Bryce Micheal Hall, want to spend the rest of your life with her and will have a constant reminder of that every single day, even if it's not a real ring. Now tell me, how much do you love this girl?" my grandma states. "With all my heart, she's one of the people that I love most in this world, but I don't know how to tell her," I say to her. "Honey, don't worry, she probably feels the same about you," she tells me.

Instead of replying I just give her a huge hug, she always says the best things.

The rest of the day we watch a few movies and I help her with her garden.

——

I was pulling some weeds when I started to think about what my grandma had said to me, and it made me realize...

I do want to marry this girl someday.

End of flashback