Chapter Ten - Quidditch, Quidditch, Quidditch

Lily:

Oh my Merlin! Would James Potter stop talking about bloody Quidditch for one second! Like.....what the actual fuck?! I didn't even realise that there was so much to talk about! It's Thursday now, and he has spoken of nothing else since Quidditch trials were announced to be happening this Saturday - and that was on Sunday! Ugh....I hope everyone pities me! I mean, I literally have to live with the bloke - on my own! I want to scream!

Right now we're just studying (well, trying to study!) in our common room. Lessons finished for today about an hour ago, and so far James has only interrupted the peace, quiet and tranquillity about seventeen times. Surprisingly, that's actually pretty good for him! But now, he won't stop harping on about the importance of the Seeker! Don't get me wrong - I love a good game of Quidditch! It's just that hearing of nothing else from anybody for the last five days is driving me insane! I've taken to speaking to Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws in classes - avoiding the Gryffindors. I don't even have my girls to escape to - Marly is Quidditch mad, Ali is too nice to tell her to shut up and Mar has a special skill of being able to tune her out when she starts talking about Quidditch. Oh, I'm so jealous of her! And there's no way in hell I could go and try to have a normal conversation with the Maruaders - no way! James thinks of nothing else, Sirius is Quidditch mad, Peter listens eagerly to whatever they say and Remus too possesses the skill of tuning them out!

"And then if they don't catch the Snitch quickly, the game can continue on for hours, or even days!"....."Did you know that a Quidditch game once lasted for three months, and they had to keep bringing on substitutes so that the players could get some sleep?"....."I played Seeker when I was younger, but changed to Chaser when I was about eight. Chasers play a more active role in the game, but I suppose Seekers are really important as well!"....."Annabelle Wood is a great Seeker - her only issue is that sometimes she forgets to look for the Snitch behind her!" James says, and I try to tune him out as best I can. After about half an hour of solid talk about the Seeker, I give up and exasperatedly say, "James! Can you please stop talking about Quidditch so that I can focus on my homework!". He looks at me and sheepishly says, "Sorry Lils! I guess that I just ramble on and on about Quidditch! If you ever need me to shut up, just say so!". He chuckles a bit, and I smile and suggest, "How about you write things down instead of saying them out loud. That way you can remember if you think of any new tactics!". He looks at me in amazement at this suggestion, and nods. "That's really smart! Oh, I just had a great idea!". At this he starts quickly writing on a sheet of parchment, his tongue poking out of his mouth and his eyebrows furrowed in intent concentration.

After about an hour of quietness, the only noise made being the scratching of quills on fresh parchment, my homework is all done. I only had a small simple enough Potions essay, two difficult Rune Translations and a long Defence Against the Dark Arts essay to do. Pretty good! I pack up my things and take a look at James. I spot about thirty inches of parchment with ink shining on it all to do with Quidditch. Wow! That really is a lot! He looks up at me after realising that I'm looking at him and grins, "I know! I didn't realise that I had so many thoughts! Thanks for the suggestion of writing it all down Lils! I'm so much better prepared for Saturday!". At this I smile, and rub his shoulder slightly. "Good job!" I compliment, "I'm going to go and get ready for dinner! Do you want to come or are you going to brainstorm a bit more? Or, you know, get some of your homework done?". James snorts at this, and then says, "Nah, I'll come! I'm hung-ry!". He sings the last bit, standing up. I walk up to my bedroom, and put some casual, comfy clothes on. I prefer to do my homework in my school robes as they allow me to concentrate more, but now that I'm done my homework I just want to simply put my snug 'Liverpool Football Club' sweatshirt on, and my warm, pleasant black sweatpants. I pop on a pair of ugg boots - they are the warmest pair of appropriate footwear I own, and head downstairs. James walks down from his bedroom at exactly the same time as me, and we leave the common room together.