Chapter Twenty-Five - Close Call

A/N - One of the ideas for this chapter comes from the one-shot above. It does not belong to me, so credit to whoever made it. I hope you enjoy! xoxo

Lily:

I'm devastated. Completely and utterly devastated. Tears drip down my face as Madam Pomfrey turns and re enters the hospital wing and shuts the door behind her. Unable to move, Remus picks me up and carrys me back up to the Head's common room, me full on sobbing now. Why did this have to happen to James? He doesn't deserve this!

Remus sits me down on the sofa, and asks Mar to go down and fetch two hot chocolates; one for me and one for Sirius. Sirius sits down beside me, just as broke, if not more so, than I am by this news. "Why him? Why not me?" Sirius keeps muttering, and I place my hand around his. He looks at me, and I nod my head. He will get better. He has to. He's James Potter.

The hot chocolates come up and Sirius and I barely drink them, just looking blankly ahead into the newly started fire in front of us. I feel...lost. Lost without James. Lost without one of my best friends, one of my closest allies, one of the most steady things in my life. Even from first year, he has always been consistent in my life. And now he's...he's not here. But he's not dead either, and I know that he won't go. He won't.

The next few days pass a similar way, all of us united in our grief. We are forced to go to classes,a dn we walk around like zombies. Nobody speaks to us, knowing that we won't be able to reply well enough. The weekend is a relief...we don't have to deal with anyone. We can be alone - all of us together.

Just as I prepare to go to sleep (well, try to) a dove patronus appears, and we all immediately stare at it, hope filling up in our eyes. "You may come now. Mr Potter is all well." Madam Pomfrey's voice sounds, and I gasp with relief. Sirius comes over to me and wraps his arms around me, burying his face in my hair. "He's all right, Lils. He's all right." he says, and I nod, a smile appearing on my face for the first time in days.

A few tears of deight stream down my face, and I quickly brush them away before running to the hospital wing alongside Sirius, the others following us. Sirius throws open the hospital wing doors, and I see him. James.

He's sitting upright, a smile appearing on his face. The scars have mostly healed - htey have gone from massive red gashes to little scrapes, and I am so beyond relieved. I rush over to him, grinninh like a maniac. 

"Hello everyone! Did ya miss me?" he asks cheekily, and I laugh a tiny bit. "Of course we did, you stupid bugger!" Sirius says, flinging his arms around his best mate. "Geez Padfoot. Can't. Breathe." he says, and we all laugh as Sirius sheepishly removes himself. "Sorry Prongs!".

"Merlin, how long was I out for?" he asks, and Remus responds, "You were attacked on Tuesday. On Wednesday you regained conciousness, but then on Thursday you relapsed. You've been in critical care since. We have barely been able to see you mate.". James' jaw drops in shock. "So, what day is it now?" he asks, and I say, "It's Sunday.". His eyes widen, and he says, "I've been out for a week! Fuck!".

Mar, Marly, Remus, Peter, Ali and Frank all take it in turns saying hello to James,a dn then it's my turn. "Hey!" I say nervously, not quite sure what to do because I don't want to hurt him. "Come here, Lils!" he says, opening his arms for me. I give him a big hug, completely ecstatic to be able to touch him again, to feel his arms around me. "I really did miss you, James." I murmur, and he smiles at me.

We spend as much time as we can with James before Madam Pomfrey kicks us out at ten, saying that she's been lenient enough.

Monday morning rolls around, and we rush to see James as soon as we possibly can. We rush into the hospital wing and Madam Pomfret lets us straight in, knowing that we shall have to leave soon.