Chapter Thirty-Eight - The Ball

Lily:

My eyes dart down the table towards the area where Marly is laughing loudly, Sirius is smirking and Minnie G looks unimpressed (though I reckon that she is probably trying to hold back a smile!).

Her lips are pressed into a thin line and Sirius looks a little bit nervous! Wait! Wait a damn minute! I just realised something! Oh my Merlin, these boys are having some effect on me! I just called Professor McGonagall Minnie G!

Anyways, I'll have to find out later what they are chuckling about!

I'm having a great night - the most interesting one I've ever had at a Slug Club party, and I really owe that to James and Sirius, who have kept me laughing all night long.

Soon enough the party ends (for us anyways!) when we finish our dinner, which is absolutely mouthwatering, and a fabulous chocolate pudding dessert. Ugh, it's just amazing!

Standing up to leave along with James, Sirius and Marly, my dress feels ever so slightly tighter around my stomach, making me laugh, and we all head over to Slughorn to say goodbye.

He's a bit intoxicated, and chatting with some Ministry members and fellow professors and we just approach to say a quick goodbye. We are some of the first people to leave, and Slughorn seems disappointed when we say that we are leaving.

"So soon!" he pronounces, a frown appearing on his face. "It's been a wonderful night sir, but we have to get a good night's sleep before our long day tomorrow!" I say, and he nods. "True, true! Well, I'm sad to see you go but thank you for coming!" he says, and with smiles plastered on our faces we leave, the cold air beating us as soon as we step out of Slughorn's office.

I shiver, the cool of the large castle stronger than I've ever felt before. James notices my small shiver and instantly shows what a gentleman he is and hands me the jacket of his dress robes.

Awww!

"No, no, it's fine! It's a short walk!" I assure him, lightly wrapping my arms around myself to conserve some body heat and begin to walk. James, however, just stays where he is with a look on his face. "Just take the bloody jacket Lils! Really!" he says, and without waiting for an answer takes it off and wraps it over my shoulders. Due to the length of the jacket and my short stature it starts to trail along the ground, but I just keep it on, it's warmth instantly making me far more comfortable.

"See, I'm right!" James declares, smirking happily before slipping his arm around my shoulders and begins to strut down the hall.

Hmmmm...this feels nice!

|------------------------------------------------|

Saturday morning dawn's bright and early, and I wake up abruptly, the shock that the day we have all been waiting for has finally arrived hitting me like a cold breeze.

The last month or so has been devoted to this day, and now that it's here it feels...surreal.

James and I spend the morning bustling around, and our friends and fellow prefects help out as we set about making finishing touches to the Great Hall. We get the Junior's night (the first to fourth years) sorted out quickly and instantly begin going about the ball.

The Great Hall is completely transformed into a Winter Wonderland, and as James and I set the final placemats in place I look up and admire our handiwork.

Wow, just wow.

Delighted with our work, James and I step up onto our 'stage' that has been set up for the night, where the Hobgoblins will perform later, and turn to address our workers.