Chapter Thirty-Three - Invitations

James:

Ugh, thank Merlin I got released when I did! I've already spent too much of my life over the past month and a bit being stuck in the bloody hospital wing!

The very second I was released I ran around the castle like a maniac, and this time I was only in there for two days!

Anyways, now it's Monday - yay! Merlin, I HATE Mondays! They are just...bleh! All my classes were as boring as they possibly could be (my teachers are trying to torture me!) and they only just ended about two hours ago. We all just finished our dinner and Lily and I are alone in our common room.

"So, we NEED to get the rest of this ball planned! So far we've got music sorted, and the Great Hall all booked. I spoke to the Hufflepuffs, and they've got the food all sorted out." Lily says, pulling out the notebook that she's been using for planning the Christmas Ball. It's set for next Saturday, so we do still have some time to plan it, but not much.

"The Ravenclaws are working on the decorations with the Slytherins, and are doing a good job. We got the Weird Sisters booked, right?" I ask, and Lily nods. "Yep! It looks like we're all set! I don't think that there is anything else for us to do right now, so that's all good! Anyways, how are you doing with that book?" Lily asks, and I grin.

"All finished!" I pronounce proudly, and Lily smiles at me. "Great! What did you think?". "You know what, it wasn't actually as bad as I thought it would be! Some of the characters and plot-lines are also really interesting! I liked Levin, he seemed cool." I say, and Lily laughs, a light twinkle in her eye. "Same!" she agrees, and then I ask her about my book.

"So, what did you think of the autobiography?". Lily makes a face, and I burst out laughing. "To be fair, that was probably the most boring one there is - sorry!" I say, and Lily slaps me with her notebook. This leads to a mini pillow fight, and it's only when we run out of steam that we stop.

"This ball is going to be great!" Lily sighs, flopping into an armchair by the roaring fire. "I know!" I add, gently closing my eyes and resting my head back.

There is one thing that's been very much on my mind recently. Who is Lily going to the ball with?

She hasn't said anything, but I'm dying to know! I decide to ask her, and so I, with as much of a casual air as I can muster, ask, "Hey Lils, who are you going to the ball with?". Fingers crossed that it comes across as laidback!

"No one!" she says, and in my head I breathe a sigh of relief. Yes - that means that I don't have to beat some poor bloke up! "Seeing as we planned the ball, do you want to go together?" I ask her casually, but...oh Lily - please say yes! I'm super nervous - this is the first time this year that I have asked her out, even though it is just as friends.

"Sure!" Lily says, and she grins at me. "Though I do have to check - you aren't going to wear a multi-coloured dress robes, are you?" she asks nervously, and I laugh. "Nope! Don't worry! Just plain black dress robes for me!" I assure her, and she grins. "This is going to be fun!" Lily says, and I nod.

I'm so happy! Lets just hope that I don't fuck it all up!

Lily:

Oh.

My.

Merlin!

I'm so happy! And excited! James asked me to the ball! I'm so glad that he wasn't already going with someone else (oh, I would have had to curse that poor girl!). When he asked me, it took everything within me to contain my excited squeal!

Anyways, me and the girls are going dress shopping on Saturday on our Hogsmeade trip, and I'm so excited! Have I said that too much? Maybe. Am I going to stop? No way hos-ay!

|------------------------------------------------|

Anyways, now it's Thursday, and we're in Potions. It's still unbearable working with Snape, but I just have to endure it. Not much longer. Thankfully we only have six more Potions lessons dedicated to working on the Amortentia, and at the rate we're going Snape and I will be done before then!

At the end of the lesson, Slughorn tells us to pack up a little bit earlier than usual, and we all sit in our chairs, waiting for what he is about to say.

"Well everybody! As you know, it is almost Christmas! Isn't that exciting! And we shall be finishing our Amortentia once and for all next Friday! Next Friday is the 23rd if December..." he says, and I freeze.

Oh Merlin! Now I know exactly what he is going on about!

"And that is when I shall be throwing my annual Slugclub Christmas party! Now, if I call out your name you are invited to come along to my study next Friday evening, in rather fancy dress. Mr Black!" Slughorn calls, and we all sit, bored out of our minds due to the fact that this basically happens every year.

It's really funny how Sirius manages to get out of going to this every year! I mean, that takes skill! He's always invited, because he is a Black, but never once has Sirius attended a Slugclub party!

Slughorn looks hopefully at Sirius, but his big face drops as Sirius rapidly shakes his head.

"Ok then! Miss Black!" Slughorn continues, and Bellatrix obviously nods, sneering at all of us as she does so. Ah, how pleasant is she!

"Mr Lestrange!" Rabastan Lestrange nods. "Mr Potter!" James' name is called, and we are all a bit surprised by it, but none more so than the man himself!

James hasn't been invited to a Slug Club gathering ever since first year, and that was because he blatantly (and rather rudely) told Slughorn that he would never ever attend one of his parties. The only reason he was invited in first year is because Slughorn taught his parents, and knew his dad, who turned out to be a successful potioner.

Then, even more surprising, James nods. Slughorn beams at him, and happily continues calling out names. "Miss McKinnon!" he calls, and Marly nods. If you'll believe it, Marly has actually been a bit of a suck up when it comes to Slughorn, but only in exam years. I think we all know exactly what she is after!

He calls one or two more names before rolling up his parchment and saying dramatically, "And last but most certainly not least, Miss Evans.". I nod, smiling as much as I can, which is very little due to the expectation I have for this party.

With this, Slughorn excuses us and we all leave the chilly Potions classroom, and have a peaceful enough Charms class. Well, apart from the fact that Mary doesn't show up!

I wonder what that is all about?