Chapter Thirty-Two - The Last Straw

James:

"Hurry up Pads! I need to fit in there too!" I mutter angrily, shoving Padfoot through the opening of the Whomping Willow.

The Full Moon edged closer and closer every day, and Moony began to grow more and more exhausted and sensitive to everything. I wish that I could only do more for him.

When the day of the Full Moon rolled around, Moony took the day off because he was simply too exhausted to get any work done, so Pads, Wormy and I collected his notes for him, with Lily taking his Ancient Runes notes. It's so good having the girls in on the secret, because it means that they can also help with things like this.

Anyways, now we are at the Willow, and it's currently...11:42 p.m. We don't have long until Moony transforms, and tonight we will need to be there every step of the way. It'll be a bad one - we can all feel it.

It's a cold dark December night, and the moon is big and bright, just hiding behind the dark clouds, waiting to come out. Me and Pads run along the tunnel to the Shrieking Shack, with Wormy (in his rat form, of course!) on my shoulder.

As we near the end of the tunnel, I hear an awful tearing sound, and an ear-splitting scream pierces the night air. "Moony." I whisper, silently praying for him. It's bad, really bad. And even worse, the moon came out early, which means that none of us are prepared for it.

"Fuck!" Padfoot says, louder, while speeding up. Rapidly, Pads and I sprint to the entrance, the sound from the shack not going away, and when we reach it I drop Wormy to the floor and instantly transform, needing to restrain the massive werewolf standing in front of me.

It's happened. He's transformed.

Earlier today we all agreed not to try anything tonight - we won't leave the shack. On Full Moon's like this it just isn't worth it. Moony has good and bad moons, just like regular days, but there is always one moon every year that is worse than the rest. It usually comes either at the start of winter or the end, and the weather is nearly always awful.

It's on nights like these that Moony's craving for blood, for violence, is so much stronger.

I rush towards him, my large antlers restraining him slightly while Padfoot performs. Together we force Moony against the wall, towards the restraints that we set up for cases like these, cases where we might not be able to control him. We've only used them once before, and I was in the hospital wing for a couple of days after that, but so far, all things considered, we are doing quite well.

Just as Pads and I relax slightly, thinking that we've got him restrained enough to back off ever so slightly I hear a low growl come from Moony's throat and I hear a high-pitched squeal.

Suddenly Wormtail is on the ground, in his human form, nursing a bleeding arm. He cries out in pain, and I immediately jump into action. Then whiff of his blood is almost unbearable for Moony, who breaks his restraining chains with such power and dangerous strength that they fly across the room. He sinks into a low hunch, preparing to spring, not taking his eyes off of Wormtail.

I see Wormy tense up, and shut his eyes, waiting for the attack.

I quickly inhale, or whatever it is that stags do, and jump between them, forcing them apart. Out of anger and rage that I stopped his attack, werewolf Moony turns on me instead. This is good, this is what I wanted. I give Padfoot a look that tells him to get Wormy out of here as soon as possible, and I begin to try my best to keep Moony where he is, and stop him from following the others.

Moony snarls loudly, claws rapidly flying through the air, trying to catch me. His long nails attempt to scrape me, to make a mark on me. This goes on for goodness knows how long, and I manage to achieve my goal, and I didn't actually get injured myself!