XI. Initiation

Dai looked in awe at the big temple standing before him as the warriors escorted him up the steps. They reached the big door at the top, which was pulled open by two guards on the inside.

Upon entry, Dai looked around. They were in a huge, circular room with columns lining it. There were three other doors similar to the one they entered from.
They all opened, and more warriors entered. All together, the warriors lined the room, circling around Dai.
Dai looked around, further perplexed.
The door right in front of him then opened, and a man stepped inside. His forehead tattoo stuck out most about him, as well as his serious glare.
The door shut behind him as he entered the circle of warriors, his black robe flowing behind him as he placed his hands behind his back.

"Greetings, and welcome," he said, "I have been informed you wish to join our family here..."
"Yes, sir," Dai answered.
The man chuckled, "I am Master Enzo Leroy, and I lead this fine organization. Forgive my skepticism, but I'm not too sure on allowing you into our family."
Dai swallowed nervously, but retained his composure.
"Why is that, sir?" he asked.
An amused smile crossed Leroy's face.
"You must understand, we suffered a breakout earlier today. Our prisoner attempted escape with the help of an outsider. We have caught them, of course, but we can't have just anyone waltzing in here with intentions of freeing them, no?"
"I see," Dai said, "It must have been a stressful situation, but I'm not here for any prisoners, sir."
Leroy looked at Dai with suspicion, but also bemusement.

"You are Dai Fray, son of Feu Fray, yes?"

Dai froze, and stammered in response.
"H-How did you know that...?"
"We haven't retained our secrecy by being ignorant about the rest of the world, young one," Leroy smirked, "I'm curious to know why the child of a Symbol in your government would actively seek us out, let alone join us."
Dai paused, carefully considering his words.
"My... father isn't exactly all that great. None of my family is. I was always the outcast for having an ice Gift when my entire family has had the... strange fortune of gaining all fire. I want to be somewhere where I would be appreciated, sir. And I feel that place is here. I beg you to give me the chance to prove myself."
Leroy arched an eyebrow, his interest piqued.
"You must pass initiation first," he smiled, "Don't worry, it's simple."
He then stepped back as the door he entered from opened again.
The warriors lining the room then dropped to their knees and sat.

"Prove yourself worthy of joining our ranks through one measly test," Leroy declared, "If you pass, I shall take you under my wing, as I have all others before you, and entrust you with our ways. More tests would await you, but should you succeed, you will be able to carry out tasks in exchange for monetary compensation, and build a good life for yourself. However, if you fail, I'm afraid you must... die."
Dai gulped.
"All you have to do is last fifteen minutes against our best warrior... Millicent," Leroy smiled.

In through the door came the same woman in the gown and shawl Dai saw fight Lena in the street. She stepped into the room, and stood a few feet away from him as the door shut behind her.
She stared at Dai with cold eyes, only for Dai to start feeling a pit in his stomach.

"Begin," Leroy announced.
Millicent then formed an ice scythe in her hands, spun it around rapidly, and charged forward.
Dai quickly jumped to the side, barrel rolling just as she struck the floor where he once stood.
He quickly fired an ice beam at her, only for her to raise four ice walls around herself. The beam struck the wall. Seeing as it would have no effect, Dai formed two ice swords as the walls dissipated. Once they did, he and Millicent charged at each other.

❄️

Lena opened her eyes to clanging sounds coming from the floor below her. She looked over to Jace, who was lying on the floor of his cell, asleep.
The clanging continued, and she just ran her hands through her hair, annoyed.

She started reminiscing about her childhood. She would often hear sounds similar to this coming from downstairs in her house. As a kid, she would try to go to sleep, only for strange, frightening sounds coming from downstairs to keep her awake.
She then remembered her parents, how she was often left alone in the house, or how her parents always seemed too busy for her. When they did spend time with her, it was almost never fun and games.

Her father had expectations for her, but she never understood what those expectations were at the time. She remembered the intense training sessions, her father coaching her to use her ice Gift in such a stern way. She remembered both her parents scorning her water Gift and forbidding her to use it. She would also remember how some people would stop by their home, only for her to never see them leave.

She broke her trance to a louder clanging sound coming from the floor beneath her. Rubbing her head, she looked over to see Jace was still asleep.
Lena smiled at him, only to frown again at the sound returning.

"Okay, what is going on?" she asked herself.

❄️

Dai tumbled across the floor before coming to a stop a few inches before Leroy. Millicent approached him slowly, scythe in hand, the blade dragging across the cold, stone floor.

Dai looked up at Leroy, who held a stopwatch in his hand.
"Seven minutes to go," he grinned.
Dai scowled and stood back up. He grunted as flashes of pain sprawled over his back and arms. Returning his attention to Millicent, he saw she was coming towards him at a walk.
Suddenly, she charged towards him, an ice path forming underneath her feet. Dai jumped and formed a pillar of ice underneath his feet, gaining high ground for himself.
Millicent skidded to a halt right before it, taken by surprise. She then looked up in shock to see Dai falling towards her.
He fell right on top of her, knocking her to the ground before barrel rolling off and sticking a landing a couple feet away. Panting, he looked back at her to see how she was.

Groaning, Millicent stood back up, using her scythe for extra support.
Leroy arched an eyebrow, "Impressive."
Millicent then swung around, the scythe extended far outward.
Dai dropped to the floor, lying on his back, just as the scythe's blade passed over him.
Once it did, Millicent raised an arm, and another ice pillar formed underneath Dai, pushing him all the way up, and sandwiching him into the ceiling.

Lena felt this slightly, a part of the floor underneath her cell was jolted.

Both pillars now dissipating, Dai began to drop to the floor. He turned around to land on his feet, only to see Millicent running underneath him. She swung the scythe upward, only for Dai to form a shield over his forearm at the last second to block.
It blocked the blade, but the shield shattered on impact. Dai was thrown off-kilter by the sudden attack, and landed on the floor on his side.
He groaned in pain as he stood back up. He didn't have long to recuperate, for Millicent swung the scythe yet again. With barely any time to react, Dai quickly jumped back, the blade cutting his chest.

Dai looked down at the rip in his shirt and the short red line in the center. He could feel his heart accelerating and his breaths were growing heavier. A panic set in his eyes as he looked up to see Millicent charging at him. She shoulder-charged him, skating on an ice path to give herself more speed.
Once she rammed him, Dai was sent flying. He tumbled across the ground and landed before two of the warriors who lined the room.

He groaned, struggling to get up. The short cut on his chest stung, too, from the impact. He held his hand over his cut, and got on one knee in an effort to get back up.
Once he did, he wobbled slightly, worn out from this fight.
Millicent raised her scythe, seemingly ready to make the killing move.
Dai's brow furrowed, and icy vapor emitted from his free hand in anticipation.

"Stop."

Both looked over to Leroy, who approached them.
"I've seen enough. You have two minutes left, but I no longer believe it to be necessary for you to finish it," he smiled.
Dai just looked at him.
"You've proven you got what it takes. You even managed to land a hit on her. I'm impressed," he smiled, and patted Dai's shoulder, "Welcome to the Bàs Fuar, Dai Fray."

Dai gulped, before given in to the fatigue, and passing out on the floor.