XXVIII. Home At Last

The group found themselves teleported right in the hallway outside Ms. Danford's office. It was late afternoon, but it was difficult to tell due to the grey clouds that covered the sky above.

Everyone looked around, slightly bewildered.
"We're back," Aria said quietly.
A small moment of silence broke out, before the group went up into a chorus of "Thank God", "Finally!!", and "I can't believe it's finally over!"
"Well," Dai said, "I'm changing my clothes, getting my stuff, and hitting the first ferry out."
"I'm with ya," Kai agreed, "I'll call Raina, let her know we're gonna meet her at home."
"I can still come, right?" Luke asked.
"After all that, definitely," Dai smiled.

The group began to disperse, Jace watching Hunter begrudgingly stalk off, hands stuffed in his pockets.
A sliver of guilt crossed his face, before looking over at Lena, who was looking out of the window.
"I'll let Danford know what happened," Ryū said, "Remember, keep what happened in this group."
Everyone nodded before finally going their separate ways, exhausted but content.

❄️

Aria had returned to the dorm to grab her things to stay with her brother for the weekend. She was just exiting her room, her bag in hand, when she noticed the boys' room had the door open, conversation drifting out into the hallway.

"-sincerely hope we never do anything like that ever again," Dai was saying, "I literally risked my life. I faced down the leader of a mercenary guild!"
"Yeah... there were times where it was scary," Kai agreed, "I got chased down and captured by a bunch of ice Gifted."
"On the bright side, it was a little thrilling..." Luke said, "Plus, we did some good by bringing the whole thing down."
"Maybe you guys did in capturing the police guy," Dai said, "Millicent took out the whole temple on the mountain. She literally caused a freaking avalanche!"
"Who is Millicent again?" Kai asked.
"Wasn't she the woman that was with Lena right before we left?" Luke added.
"I'm too exhausted to explain," Dai grumbled, "I just wanna go home and do nothing for three weeks."
"Yeah, I feel," Luke agreed.
"Me three," Kai finished.
"I think I'mma grab some snacks for the ferry," Luke grinned, "It's the first time in a long time I've left Elfen, so."
Aria felt herself tensing up, a warmth spreading throughout her face.

"Go ahead," she heard Kai say.
Luke then exited the room, stopping upon seeing her.
"Oh, hey... didn't know you were out here," he chuckled.
"I... was just getting my things and overheard you guys talking," Aria explained.
Luke resisted the urge to chuckle, "Why? Did you think we were talking about you?"
Aria felt her face grow warmer, "What? No... I just... you're really gonna spend the break with the Frays?"
"Yeah," Luke nodded, "They actually live in a nice suburb just outside Seattle."
He then rubbed the back of his neck, nervousness starting to take over.
"If you live close by... maybe we could... hang out?" he asked.
"Maybe..." Aria smiled, "I live in Seattle, so it's a definite... maybe."
Luke grinned, "Hope that 'maybe' becomes a 'yes'."
Aria giggled, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"Y'know... I never really thanked you for saving me from that ice Gifted that tried sneaking up on me," she said.
Luke scratched his cheek, "Well, y'know, I told you I'd protect you, right?"
"...Right," Aria smiled, and both awkwardly chuckled.
"Well then..." she continued, "I guess I'll... see ya around."
"You to..." Luke replied.
Aria gave him a small finger wave, then headed off down the hall, towards the staircase.
Luke watched her go, smiling.
"Well, well, well," he heard a voice from behind him, turning to see Kai and Dai peering out from the dorm room.
"That... was adorable," Kai grinned.
Luke blinked, then shrugged, "What can I say? She's pretty."
"Mhm," Kai nodded with a mischievous smile.
"Get your stuff and let's go," Dai huffed, "You'll have plenty of time to think about her on the ferry, 'kay?"
Luke giggled before heading back off to get snacks, gazing up at the ceiling with a smile on his face.

❄️

Meanwhile, Lena and Jace strode through the campus, hands in pockets.
They were silent, for a few moments.
"So... you said you wanted to 'talk and walk'," Lena said, "So... when's the 'talk' part happening?"
Jace paused, before sighing.
"I just... I'm not sure how to properly emphasize how thankful I am," he said.
"You don't have to be overly emotional about it," Lena said awkwardly, "It was nothing. We just... did what was right."
"No," Jace said, "I mean, I'm seriously thankful for actually being saved from that... place. But, that's not what I mean."
"Oh."
Lena paused.
"Then... what do you mean?"
"The first time you tried saving me..." Jace said, "You tried to do it all by yourself."
"Which, in hindsight, was severely dumb," Lena grumbled.
Jace chuckled, "Maybe... but... it was touching."
Lena looked to him, a small smile crossing her face.

"You did all that... for me, by yourself," Jace said, "I know in the end it didn't work, but... I didn't think anyone would risk their life like that for me."
Lena blushed, "Don't get me wrong, it was terrifying."
"Oh, no doubt," Jace agreed.
"Besides," Lena shrugged, "We all went over there to come get you. Don't give me all the credit just for one failed escape attempt."
"I'm not," Jace said.
"Then what are you saying?" Lena asked.
"I'm saying that... it's nice to know a pretty girl like you... values me enough to face down skilled ice Gifted to save my life," Jace admitted.
Lena felt beat-red. She then found herself twiddling with her fingers.
"I-I said it was nothing," she stammered, "It was just... the right thing to do."
Jace just looked at her and smiled.
Lena met his gaze, "What?"
"You're so bashful."
"What?! I'm not bashful."
"You're being bashful right now."
"No, I'm stating a fact."
"Mhm..."
"Shut up."

She then shoved his arm, making him laugh.
Upon doing so, she found herself laughing, and they both stopped in the courtyard in the center of campus.

Once they calmed down, Jace looked to her.
"So... are you going to go back with Melany?"
"Yeah... she's still here, probably looking for me," Lena admitted, "I shouldn't abandon her twice. What about you?"
"Just going back to my family," Jace said, "They're probably worried to death."
"Yeah..." Lena agreed, "The sooner you go to them, the better."
Jace nodded, then looked to the cobblestone path underneath their feet.
"I hope to see you sometime during break," Jace said.
Lena looked up at him, "Maybe. We'll talk about it."
Jace paused.
"Uhm... how?" he asked, "The Bàs Fuar... kinda confiscated my phone... and I never got it back..."
Lena blinked, then giggled awkwardly.
"Right, right," she said, "Then, uh... we'll figure it out. But the short answer is yes."
Jace grinned, "Sweet."
"Right now, though," Lena said, stretching, "I could go for a two day nap. The fact our lives are not endangered anymore is such a load-off."
"Yeah..." Jace agreed, then something behind Lena caught his eye. Lena noticed he was looking behind her, and she turned around.

Melany was running over to them, "Lena!!! Jace!!!!!"
She joined the two a moment later.
"Hey, Mel..." Lena said awkwardly.
"'Hey, Mel'?!" Melany scolded, "You leave me with one haphazard phone call and disappear for over a whole twenty-four hours and the minute I find you it's 'Hey, Mel'?!"
Lena and Jace shuffled in their pockets ashamedly.
Melany just sighed, easing off.
"Just, come here," she grumbled.
She then hugged the both of them tightly, and they returned it.
"I'm so glad you're both back," she said.
Lena and Jace just smiled at each other, looking past Melany's long brown hair between them.

"It's good to see you, too," Lena said.