XIV. The Evening

Lena lied on the mat in the corner of the cell, trying to sleep. She rolled over on each side, trying to get comfortable, to no avail. Turning over her side once again, she looked across the small hall to Jace's cell. He was already fast asleep. Lena couldn't help but give a small, fond smile.

She then turned onto her back and stared up at the ceiling, it's dark grey paint glaring down at her dismally.
"Where are you guys...?" she uttered under her breath to herself.

❄️

Meanwhile, Hunter stayed at the hotel, huddled up in his room. From outside his open window, he could see the sunlight was growing more dim and orange. It was evening.
He grunted as he remembered the plan the others came up with right in front of him. He made it seem like he had no interest in helping. Now, however, he sat in his room, bored.

Memories of Jace flashed up in his mind, as well as the memory of when he told Lena how he felt. He cringed and grunted.

"I wasn't trying to control him," he muttered to himself, "They warped it."
He then turned his head and practically leapt to his feet in shock when he saw Ryū sitting on the adjacent bed in a meditative position. He glowed a red orange aura around his body with his eyes closed. Hunter watched as little orbs of red and orange left his body and levitated around him for a moment, one or two at a time, before they flew out the window.

"I apologize for interrupting your moping and brooding," Ryū said shortly after, "I must do this at least once a day."
"Can't you... give... Gifts... somewhere else?" Hunter asked, realizing mid-sentence what he was saying.
He just grunted in annoyance and returned his attention to the window again.
"You know," Ryū said, "Dai Fray is infiltrating the Bàs Fuar, and the others are working to discover what happened to this city. What are you doing?"
Hunter didn't reply.
"Why didn't you join Aria Draven and the others in their investigation?" he asked, "You'd be doing more of a service to Jace Verrater and Lena Prasylova than just sitting here."
"And what about you?" Hunter snarked back, "What are you doing?"
"I don't have the best relationships with my fellow Gods and Goddesses," Ryū explained, "One of which is in the vicinity. Plus, this is important."
Hunter huffed and just held his knees.
Ryū opened his eyes and looked over to him.
"I... understand your relationship with the others is... strained," he said, "But if you truly want to play a part in saving Jace, then I recommend you put your bias aside and work with them. Try to get along."
Hunter grunted indignantly, before taking a moment to consider, and exhaling.

"...Where are they?" he muttered.
"Give me a moment, I'll be able to sense Kai Fray's location through his Gift," Ryū explained, and he closed his eyes again.
After a brief moment, Ryū could now see through Kai's eyes. He was on an unfamiliar city block, following an unfamiliar old man with Luke and Aria. He could see where they were headed, though.
He opened his eyes, and blinked for a moment.
"They're heading towards the police department," he said, "I believe it is near the center of the city. You could meet them there."
Hunter grunted, though secretly impressed by his abilities.
"Fine," he said, and stood up.
He headed towards the door only for Ryū to speak again.
"Hunter," he said, "I know you may be having a difficult time right now. For the greater good, you must put aside your personal biases, your grudges. Selfishness will not help those in need. Whatever your feelings towards Jace, Lena, or the others right now, you must understand you're part of a team here."
Hunter didn't say anything, he just left with an annoyed scowl on his face. Ryū watched him go, worried.

❄️

"I still do not believe this is a good idea," Bushida said aversely.
"There's got to be members of the police that are against the Bàs Fuar running things," Aria said hopefully, "Not everyone would willingly follow them... right?"
"As I said," Bushida replied, "Those who didn't bend were either forced to, or were killed..."
"Well, either way," Kai said, "We need them to stop the Bàs Fuar entirely. If we just save our friends... Nagahama would still be left under their jurisdiction."
"Right!" Luke agreed, "My sister always said if something ought to be done, you should do it yourself!"
"You have a sister?" Aria asked, "I didn't know that."
"Oh... we don't talk much... anymore," Luke explained shortly.
"We are here," Bushida said, and the three young Gifted looked up at the police station. It was a multi-floored building with "POLICE" written above the door in Japanese kanji. A security camera also occupied the corner of the building.
With cautious steps, the four stepped through the front door, finding themselves in a lobby. At the other end was an entrance to a massive hallway. Situated next to it was a small counter protected by a glass shield. However, it seemed deserted.

"Hello? Uh... konnichiwa?" Aria asked out loud.
No reply.
"Erm... are they here?" Kai asked.
"They should be," Bushida replied, "Though I have never seen it this... empty."
They began to look around the lobby. Luke looked at the sad waiting area; a lone couch and coffee table with a water cooler next to it.
Aria and Bushida looked through the glass at the counter, only to see it was dark on the other side, with no one in sight.
Kai's attention was on the hallway. It was long and vast, lined with doors. At the far end he could see a door with a sign next to it.
"Bushida-sama," he said, "What does that sign say?"
Bushida came over and peered down the hall.
"Staircase," he said, "If they haven't changed anything, the floor below us is where the holding cells are, while the upper floor is offices for the dispatchers and such."

"There seems to be no one here," Aria said, "Where do you think they went?"
"I'm not sure, but-" Bushida started, as the loud swinging of the staircase door interrupted him. A man stepped forward, wearing a suit and tie with a symbol pinned on the tie. He had dark tanned skin and hair cut short.
"Ah," he smirked, "Eiji Bushida."
Bushida said nothing, he and the teens just looked apprehensively at him.
"I believe my father warned you of what would happen if you ever showed your face here again," he said. Suddenly, the doors lining the halls all got kicked open and several Bàs Fuar warriors hurried into the hallway.
The three Gifted teens surrounded Bushida, Gifts at the ready.
"I see you brought children with you," the man continued, "How... sad."
"Nylas Leroy," Bushida replied, "Your days of running this city will come to an end."
"Oh, I beg to differ," Nylas smirked, "My father entrusted me with this position to prove that I'll be eligible to take his place one day as master of the Bàs Fuar. I'm afraid I cannot allow you to stand in my way. You were given amnesty, Bushida. You should have stayed away, now you and these children will pay the ultimate price."
"Wait," Aria said, stepping forward, "How many of you are former police officers? You can't think this is a cause you want to fight for!"
The warriors looked at each other, puzzled.
Nylas laughed, "Stupid girl. These fine men and women serve the Bàs Fuar now. It is their privilege."
Aria's brow furrowed.
"Aria," Kai said, "I don't think we'll win this by talking."
Nylas smirked, "Kill the old man and capture the children. We shall interrogate them."
The warriors began to step forward.
Kai then jumped in front and thrusted his arms forward, fire barreling from his fists towards them.
Two of the warriors raised ice walls, which started melting almost immediately. They kept feeding them energy to keep them up to combat the melting, as two more rushed past them, ice kunai in their hands.
Both threw the kunai only for Luke to step forward and raise a rock wall, the kunai hitting it with much clanging.

The two warriors pressed forward only for Kai to stop his attack and for Aria to thrust her arms forward, a tidal wave barreling towards them.
It swept the two away and eventually did the same to the two who formed the ice walls, which dissipated a moment later.
"Bushida, I think you should get out of here," Kai suggested.
"Nonsense," Bushida laughed, and he stepped forward, whirled his arms around and thrusted them forward, a blast of air barreling down on the warriors, forcing them to grab hold of something to prevent from being blown away.
Nylas was slammed against the door to the stairwell, being held there by the sheer force of the wind.
Bushida subsided a moment later, and Nylas and the warriors fell to the floor.
Nylas hurriedly got up, bewildered and frustrated, and hurried into the stairwell, the warriors standing between it and the group of disgruntled Gifted.

"If any of you still have any respect for me as your former superior, then I suggest you stand down," Bushida warned, as he and the three teens took stances.