XXIX. Come January

Later that very afternoon, the ferry Seven Seas departed from the dock outside New Haven campus just as the sun began to set. Lena leaned on the railing at the stern, watching New Haven slowly become farther and farther.
She thought about the whole trip to Nagahama, about the Bàs Fuar chasing her down the mountain, being held captive, Millicent, the sheer stress she was in.

Jace's words to her then came back to her.
"I'm saying that... it's nice to know a pretty girl like you... values me enough to face down skilled ice Gifted to save my life."
Blushing, she felt a small smile cross her face. Hands on her cheeks holding her head up, she looked up at the sky as the putter of the propeller underneath splashed the water continuously.

As she stood at the stern, fantasizing, Melany joined her a moment later.
"Hey," she said.
"Hey," Lena replied.
Melany snorted, "What are you smiling about?"
Lena then realized and quickly straightened out her composure.
"Nothing," she said, "Just... glad we made it home safe."
"Me too," Melany huffed, "I'm really glad you guys found Jace."
"Me too," Lena exhaled deeply.
Silence fell, for Melany wasn't sure what to say.
"So... was it scary?" she asked.
"A bit," Lena replied, "I kind of don't wanna get into it right now."
"Oh, okay," Melany nodded, "I understand."
Melany then turned around, leaning her back against the railing. It was then she noticed Hunter more towards the side of the ferry, arms crossed and leaning on the rail.

"How was Hunter?" she asked, "He didn't cause too much trouble, did he?"
"I wouldn't know," Lena sighed, "I wasn't around him for almost the entire thing. Though, when we got Jace, he basically got figured out."
"Figured out?" Melany asked.
"Figured out that he only came along to try and win back Jace's friendship," Lena explained.
"Ohhhhh," Melany nodded knowingly, "That's awful."
"Right," Lena agreed, "Jace deserves better than that."
Melany paused for a moment.

"You know, Lena," she said, "I know we only reconciled recently, but, you know you can tell me anything without judgement."
Lena looked at her, "Uh, thanks, Mel. Though, I don't know if... we're quite there... yet."
Melany looked down, slightly disheartened, but hid it with a pleasant smile.
"I understand," she acknowledged, "Whenever you're ready."
Lena smiled at her now, and turned around to lean against the rail like she was.

"Oh!" Lena gasped, "By the way, have you seen a little short guy named Max? Brown hair, yellowish eyes, baby cheeks, nature Gift."
Melany blinked, "The... little guy from the tournament?"
"Yes! Him," Lena confirmed.
"I'm... afraid I haven't, no," Melany said, "Why?"
A look of disappointment crossed Lena's face, "Apparently he went to Raina after we left, and she told him what was happening," Lena explained, "I... consider him a friend, so, I wanted to let him know we're okay."
"Oh, that's very... considerate of you," Melany said with a hint of pride, "But, I haven't seen him, no. After you called, I went to Ms. Danford's office only for her to tell me you all left. Haven't seen him or Raina at all afterward. He probably took a ferry home yesterday with her."
"Oh..." Lena looked even more disappointed, "I guess I'll have to wait 'til after break. I don't have a way to contact him, so..."
"I'm sure he'll be pleased to see you and the others have made it back okay," Melany attempted to reassure, "Maybe see if Raina knows, since she's apparently the last one to speak with him."
"Huh," Lena nodded, "I think I will."

She then pulled out her phone, tapped Raina's contact, and held the phone on speaker so Melany could listen.
"Hello?"
"Raina?" Lena asked.
"Lena? Oh my god, how are you?" Raina's voice said through the phone, "My brothers told me everything. Are you okay?"
"Fine," Lena said, "I'm with Melany. Remember her."
"Uh... vaguely," Raina admitted.
A deadpan look crossed Melany's face.
"She's my friend, you know?" Lena pressed.
"The bell is ringing very faintly," Raina said.
"You teamed up with her during The Bolt incident," Lena continued, now slightly annoyed.
Raina paused.
"OH!" she exclaimed, "Yeah, I know her. Sorry."
Lena and Melany just exchanged a disbelieved look.

"Anyways," Lena said, "I wanted to ask about Max. The short nature Gifted with the brown hair and kinda yellow eyes. The twins said you spoke to him after we left."
"Yeah, he wanted to find y'all to get your numbers so you could hang out over break," Raina answered, "I told him what was going on and he kinda freaked out."
"Right," Lena acknowledged, "Do you know where he went after? Did he go to the mainland on the same ferry as you?"
"I didn't see him board it with me," Raina said thoughtfully, "Actually, before we left each other he said he had to stay on Elfen Island anyway for at least the first couple days of break."
Lena and Melany both blinked.
"So... he's still on the island?" Melany asked.
"Probably," Raina guessed, "Did you not see him?"
"No," Lena said, "We haven't."
"Huh, weird. Well, you could always talk to him after break."
"I guess," Lena sighed, "Thanks, Raina. Maybe I'll see you soon."
"See ya," Raina replied, and she hung up.
Lena looked at Melany as she stuffed her phone back in her pocket.
"So," Melany said, "If Max is still on the island, where is he?"

❄️

"You're leaving?!" Ryū exclaimed, "For Switzerland?!"
"This week, and for the foreseeable future," Danford replied, "My sister is in peril, Ryū. I cannot abandon her."
"I understand," Ryū said, "But why are you leaving Kendra Charmaine in charge of New Haven?!? You know her radical past. She could be a loose cannon!"
"Emphasis on the word 'could'," Danford huffed.
"Um..." a voice said.
The two looked at the other end of Danford's office, to see a thin, pale, brown-haired woman in a business suit standing by the door.
"...I'm right here."
Danford clasped her hands together and took a deep breath.
"My apologies, Kendra," she said, "As I was saying, I'm letting you in on this secret so you can properly work as acting headmistress. The Heat has sworn to protect this island, and he is vital to New Haven's safety, as disagreeable as he may seem."
"I... can tell," Kendra arched an eyebrow.
"Arielle, I must protest—" Ryū started.
"Yvette was attacked," Danford interrupted, "Some Gifted mortally wounded her. She has a husband and child, Ryū. I need to be there for my family and Kendra was the only member of my faculty willing to accept!"
"I am," Kendra nodded, "I know the role of headmistress is demanding and daunting but I am capable of taking care of things until you return, Ms. Danford."
Danford sighed a sigh of relief, "Thank you, Kendra."
Ryū crossed his arms, looking suspiciously at Kendra.

"I leave in the morning for the mainland," Danford said to Ryū, "I am glad everyone got back from your... excursion, truly... but I have this evening to properly discuss with Kendra her responsibilities and duties. Do leave us, if you would."
Ryū just snapped his fingers and teleported away in flames, leaving Kendra and Danford alone in the office.
"Before we begin," Kendra said, "I just have one question."
"Of course," Danford replied.
"How much time will this take away from my children?" she asked.
"Oh... forgive me," Danford said, remembering, "I forgot your four children also attend here."
"Yes, I teach as well as mother," Kendra smiled.
"What were their names?" Danford asked.
"My oldest is Matthew, followed by Melissa and Martha, and my youngest is Maxwell," Kendra said, with much pride.
"Ah, right," Danford nodded, "They can always come to you after classes end. You may still have some things to do, but it shouldn't be too bad for you and your children."
Kendra then grinned, "Wonderful. Let's get started, then."