Chapter 16 - Better Take a Painkiller

I looked at the caller ID and cringed, knowing I just lost the second part of the wager with Ivan. It was Rose.

"Hello," I said, as I answered the phone.

"Hi Comrade," said Rose into the phone, "I know that I probably should've waited a couple days to get in touch with you so that I don't look all clingy or desperate or something, but I knew you'd be busy tomorrow and I really just wanted to hear your voice."

I smiled, hearing her words. "No, I could never find you clingy or desperate. It's nice to hear your voice, too, Roza," I told her. I'd almost forgotten Ivan was standing there until he began smirking at the mention of her name and pulled his wallet out of his pocket. "What are you up to today?"

Ivan pulled out fifty dollars and passed it to me. I hadn't even considered the fact that since she was the one to call first, it meant I hadn't initiated the contact, so I won the first bet. I felt better about it until Ivan started miming lifting a heavy weight over and over again.

"Not much," replied Rose, "I finally got the bathroom unpacked. Lissa will be super-happy about it when she gets home. What about you?"
"I just got done with church, actually," I told her.

"Oh? I didn't know you went."

"My whole family goes. We have since I was little," I told her. It wasn't a lie, but definitely not the only reason I was there, since it was required for school.

"Maybe I should join you there sometime. I haven't been since Lissa and I went to St. Vladimir's," she told me. I cringed. There was no way I would be able to have her meet my family and keep my age a secret.

"Maybe," I said, noncommittally, "I remember you telling me how much you liked to sleep in, so don't feel like you have to."

"True," said Rose, "Anyway, I just wanted to run an idea past you. I guess Christian has been bugging Lissa about the four of us spending time together once he's not your teacher. I know that you've got finals for his class this week, so once Friday night comes . How do you feel about a double-date next Friday night?"

I frowned. Yet again, it seemed circumstances were making it difficult to keep my age from Rose. But I couldn't say 'no' to this one. "I guess so," I told her, "What did you have in mind?"

"How about that new Italian restaurant in Springfield that opened last month? I know money's a little tight for you, but I could pay for us. Christian might object, but I don't really care what he would say about it."

I looked at the fifty dollar bill, still in my hand, thinking I'd feel a lot better if I could pay for her in front of Ozera, and told her, "Actually, I'd be glad to pay. I just got some money. Christmas came early, I guess."

"Great," said Rose, "It's a date, then. How does dinner at seven sound? Lissa's going to be at Christian's beforehand, so maybe I could have you come to pick me up at six so that we get a few minutes alone at the house before we head to the restaurant?"

"That sounds good," I told her.

"I can't wait to see you," she said, "And I can't wait to get my arms around you." I growled slightly. After our mishap last night, I had made sure to preventatively 'prime the pump' a couple of times in my morning showers. Doing so was helping me get better control over my physical reactions to Rose, but my body still heated at her words.

"That sounds very good," I told her, my voice getting huskier.

"Great! I'll call you back later to let you know. Talk to you later, Comrade."

"Okay, Roza, talk to you later," I told her, hanging up the phone.

As soon as Rose hung up the phone, it instantly rang again. I picked up the phone, without checking to see who had called. "Hello?"