Chapter 21 - Family Fun (Center)

Rose's POV:

I was so nervous about this date. After last night, I really wanted it to go well. Dimitri really surprised me with everything that happened in the car on the way here, but it was way more amazing than I could've ever hoped for.

I love Dimitri. I'm sure of it. But love isn't something I take lightly. I have told Lissa that I love her and my parents have each heard it a handful of times, but that is it. I never said it to Jesse, despite giving him my virginity, and in hindsight, that's something I'm very glad of. Part of me still wished I had waited for the right guy to come around. That I had waited for Dimitri to come around.

On the other hand, I never felt it for Jesse, either. Love, I mean. It was still a mystery to me how I could know Dimitri for so short a period of time and feel so connected to him like this. I had never felt like this before and there was absolutely no explanation.

Dimitri had my heart and if he wanted to, he could smash it into a billion pieces with one word. I know he's 'innocent' compared to me and it's not like I want to corrupt him, but I do have to admit that it makes me trust him just a little bit more. In the short time I've known him, I have no reason to, but I trust him. With sex and everything else. I want to be his first. I want to be his everything.

I just hope he's being completely honest with me.

I had been trying to wait for the exact right time to tell Dimitri that I loved him, but it just never came. I very nearly said it without meaning to when he made me come in the car. I only just stopped myself from blurting it out. I can't just let myself say it. It has to be right.

I took Dimitri's hand and led him to the go-karts, excited for the chance to just have fun together.

"Did we want to have a shared kart or each drive our own?" I asked him. I had hoped to stay close to him, but I knew it could also be fun if we each got the chance to drive our own kart.

Dimitri scratched his chin looking at the side-by-side seats in the two-seater kart closest to us. "I don't know. I'd like to share, but do we both get a chance to drive if we share?"

I grinned at him. It was like we were on the same train of thought. "We get two sessions with seven laps around the track each. We could switch places between laps?"

Dimitri smiled back and replied, "Perfect," then he gave me a peck on the lips and we got the attendant to give us helmets and strap us in.

There wasn't a lot of talking while we were on the track, but it just felt good to be together. Dimitri and I each whipped the car around the turns, careening into each other on each one. It was nice just to laugh and have fun. We even held hands while speeding into the straightaways. Fifteen minutes later, Dimitri and I were circling into the final lap.

"That was incredible, Roza!" Dimitri said, removing his helmet, "I've never been on a go-kart before."

I laughed, pulling my own helmet off. "Really, Comrade? That makes two firsts for you today, doesn't it?"

Dimitri's cheeks turned pink as he scratched the back of his neck and unfastened his seatbelt. "It might."

"You ready for some mini golf?" I asked him, getting out of the kart.

"If I am, that would make another first," he chuckled.

I grinned at him as I asked, "You've never been mini golfing?"

"No," he said, "Randall always had a lot of money, but my mama did not. With nine mouths to feed, it never went very far. Responsibilities always just seemed to take precedence over fun."