Chapter 25 - Blown Up

"Dimitri," Rose said, with a puzzled and angry look on her face, holding my wallet up, cards fanned out on top of it, "why does your St. Vladimir's school ID card say it's for this year?"

My mouth hung open. I had no idea how to respond to this. It had caught me completely off guard. Why didn't I think of the fact that Rose would see my card before asking her to look through my wallet?

"Dimitri, are you a student? A high school student?!" The outrage on Rose's face was clear. Nothing could mar her beautiful face, but her nostrils flared and her face seemed to redden with anger. The fire in her eyes told me all that I needed to know about how she was feeling right now. I didn't know how to respond.

"I was going to tell yo-" I began.

Rose cut in, "Are you even of age? Are you a minor?" Her voice rose as her anger became greater.

"I -" I began again, but she continued to cut me off.

"Oh my god, you're a child - aren't you? And what does that make me? I'm a fucking child molester!" Rose closed her eyes in disgust, pinching the bridge of her nose.

I needed a way to salvage this. I needed a way to break through to her. I couldn't lose her. Not now. Rose was the love of my life and we'd only just found each other. "You're not -" I tried again.

She looked up at me. "Don't try to sugarcoat this, Dimitri! Why the hell did you need to lie to me if it wasn't true?"

"Because I -"

"Christian! Ugh! He knew, didn't he?" She fumed, "And Adrian, too! Or Jill! Oh. My. FUCKING. God! Jill! YOU - you're that 'really, really tall, muscular guy with a cool accent at school' she was going out with last year - the one she just couldn't stop talking about for a couple of weeks before she met her boyfriend! That's why you recognized her name!"

"They kept it a sec-" I began, not entirely sure what I was going to say or where I was going with that statement. I was floundering. But inevitably, it didn't matter where I was going, because she interrupted again.

"This is why you visit your dad every weekend! Not out of some duty-bound familial obligation, or because you need him to pay for college, but because it's court-mandated until you turn eighteen!"

"It was only -" I started again. I had to at least try to let her know that I'm eighteen. I just visit because I need him to pay for my tuition at St. Vladimir's and college. But she kept keeping me from explaining.

Rose's eyes filled with startled horror as she blurted out, "And I just took your virginity! Your - your - your ... innocence! From a child! And that's why you recovered so quickly - like a teenager - after you blew your load the first time, too! Because you are a teenager! Ugh, I feel so dirty! I need to go scrub away all the filth I feel right now!" Rose clenched her shoulders as if she had chills running up and down her spine, making a face as though she smelled a really bad smell or stepped in something dirty.

"Roza, wait, I can explain." I kept trying, but she tossed my sweatshirt at me and was already headed for the door. I followed her down the stairs as she took them two at a time, in a hurry to leave.

"Oh, you're good, high school boy! Don't you 'Roza' me! Was this all just a game to you? To try to see if you can get an experienced, adult woman to take your virginity? Did you make a bet with your pervert friend Ivan? Is that what the bet with your arms was all about? That you didn't get me to fuck you yet!? Is that what happened when you didn't have sex with me after Twister? Because you lost your nerve about losing your cherry to an adult woman you barely knew, that you didn't give a shit about?" She continued in a huff as she tried to put on her shoes while not taking her eyes off of me. I definitely got the feeling the reason she kept looking was because she didn't trust me and not because she wanted to see me.