Chapter 10

On the jet the next morning the team went over the details again, Garcia having joined them for the travel for this case as well, for efficiency. The fires started in Farmland, Indiana a town with a population under two thousand, with in a nice community, not one you would expect to find a serial killer prowling in, with such a chance of getting caught.

" So the fires have only one connection so far and that is South Main St. All of the houses run on it and each house has a large amount of land behind or close to it."

"An easy get away? After starting the fires the unsub has an easy route to get the hell out, even the chance to hide or run through tall crops or grass." Vel comments after sitting in the seat next to Garcia, drink in hand, one for the tech savvy woman as well.

"They found foot prints running through the dirt near by, but can't place it as the unsubs, or the adolescence that lived there. The shoe is a common Nike, most of the teenagers here have them, so we are unsure if it can count as a lead." Hotch speaks, rarely glancing up from the case file, brow knit close together in concentration.

The victims concluded of fourteen victims; the first household being the Jenkins', Adeline Jenkins, her husband Harold and their two twin boys Gray and Scotty, only twelve. The second was the Simon's; Patricia and James, no children; the Montgomery's, Samantha and Craig along with their six year old daughter Sadie and cat Tulip. The final house belonged to Katalina and Louis Miller; their children where Kate age seventeen, lily age thirteen and their newly adopted son Thomas, age nine. While the other families where residents of the town since the parents childhoods, the Miller's moved in only three months ago after the finalization of the adoption and Louis' new job offer. None of the families had any connections to each other as far as the team could find. The Simon's had no children were in their early twenties and didn't work with children; Sadie and the twins didn't attend the same school and the Miller children were being home schooled until the next year since they arrived at the end of the school term. No jobs that crossed paths, only knowing of each other from neighborhood parties or friendly run ins.

They landed approximately at eight thirty am and are greeted by chief officer William Ward.

"Hello, I am SSA Aaron Hotchner, this is my team, Agent Derek Morgan, Agent Jennifer Jareau, Agent Emily Prentiss, Agent Vel Walker, Dr, Spencer Reid, and our Tech, Penelope Garcia." They each give a handshake, Reid giving a wave from a few steps back.

"Thank you all for coming out, we really appreciate it. If you don't mind me asks young lady, was is Vel short for? It was my mothers name but she always refused to tell me. I've gotten answers from other people, but never another Vel." She gives him a soft smile and answers, knowing she's going to get teased by Morgan for it.

"It,uh, actually stands for Velvet. My father used to say that the inspiration was 'Velvet Goldmine' by David Bowie, but my mother says it was because my favorite song in the womb was 'Blue Velvet' by Bobby Vinton." Heading to their cars, Morgan slings an arm around her shoulder, Vel instantly shrugging it off.

"Velvet, huh?" He teases.

"Hotch can you fire him?" She asks, climbing in the passenger seat, only earning a smile smirk from him.

The drive to the station isn't long lived, and soon everyone is elbow deep in work doing their best to find out how these residency connect and how to chance this unsub before anyone else is harmed. Reid start on the geographic map, pining the order the fires started, while JJ writes out the areas they started on the white board.

"So no way to connect the starting points either?" Morgan questions JJ, tossing down his file.

" No, they all started in completely different places. The first was the back room, the second was the kitchen, the third started in the living room and the last one started in the laundry room."