-. .xxxi.

"So, you're telling me," Yoonmin cleared his throat and sat further back in his chair, brows pinched tightly as his thoughts raced faster than he could comprehend, "You have been an accessory to murder, under duress, for the past few years?"

"That's right."

"And your name isn't Bae Junseok, but actually Kim Taehyung?"

"Yes, sir."

The officer pursed his lips, though his expression remained taut despite having all the facts out in front of him. How could something like this even exist in the real world? And now, on top of everything else, his childhood friend had been taken by the same psychopath that had killed all the women in the very case he had been following. It didn't feel plausible. It didn't feel like something that could happen here.

But then, did anyone ever expect something bad would happen to them?

"With all due respect, Officer, shouldn't we really be out there trying to find Soojin before that psycho hurts her?"

"Not so fast," Yoonmin scowled, folding his arms across his chest defiantly, "I want her back just as much as you do, if not more. But had you two stayed put at the safe house, like it was instructed, none of this mess would be happening right now. You're done calling the shots, Kim Taehyung."

"You don't understand," Taehyung stood from the metallic chair adjacent to Yoonmin's, his words tumbling out, almost incoherently and laced with frustration, "He'll kill her."

"On the contrary," Yoonmin stood too, placing both palms on the slate grey table between them, dark eyes peering up at the other man with a hard look, "I'm very aware. I have at least four other dead girls that prove that fact, Mr Kim, but running headfirst into flames does nothing except get you burned. Look at how that worked out for Soojin."

He was right, and Taehyung knew it. Yoongi had proven on more than one occasion he was always a step ahead. There had to be a way around it. A way to beat him at his own game before he truly did hurt Soojin.

Feeling something drop on his shoulder, Taehyung looked down to see it was Yoonmin's hand, a sympathetic expression smoothed our the latter man's face, "I'm right there with you. I want to find Min Yoongi and run him into the ground for his, but we have procedures and rules for a reason. Please understand that, Taehyung, I'd hate to have to detain you."

Biting back his words, Taehyung's teeth ground together as he nodded his head. Arguing would solve nothing.

With one final look, Yoonmin dropped his hand and headed further into the police station, leaving the door open to the interrogation room so Taehyung could leave on his own accord. The taller male stood in there for a moment before sighing heavily and leaving.

As he walked through the hall, he watched as officers passed by with curious glances. To be honest, he never thought he'd see such a day, where he was out of that decrepit room, free in the world once more. For the longest time, he really did believe he'd die in there.

It left a pang in his heart to know the person he had to thank no longer had the same luxury has he did.

But what could he do? He didn't have the resources to find her on his own, he didn't even know where to start. Feeling helpless, he ran a hand through his hair and exhaled softly. Deciding he couldn't stand around a police station until he heard news a lead, he did the next best thing he could.

He went to go see his best friend in hospital.

Despite how severe Jungkook's condition looked when they found him, most of it came down to malnutrition. While he was still cut and suffered a few deep lacerations on his body as well as a fractured forearm, he was okay, physically speaking.

Knocking the open door to Jungkook's room, separate from other patients giving his mental state, Taehyung did his best to smile, "Hey."

Returning the gesture with a slight wince, Jungkook shuffled up in his bed, "Hi."

"You had me pretty worried back there, Kook," Taehyung laughed airily as he entered further in the room, "I really thought you were done for."

"Please, I'm more of a fighter than you," In spite of his words, Jungkook's cheeks were hollow, dark garnet semicircles hung low under half-lidded eyes, his cheeks littered with scratches and his bottom lip had two stitches keeping it closed.

In polite terms, he looked like shit. And rightfully so.

"Uh hi, is this Jeon Jungkook's room?"

Upon hearing another voice, both boys turned around to see Hoseok hesitantly lingering outside the door, clad in a hospital gown with a single crutch tucked under his right arm. He switched his gaze between Taehyung and Jungkook silently.

"That's me, and you are...?"

"Jung Hoseok," The offending man introduced himself briefly before continuing, "The man who held you captive is going to kill my best friend, and I can't let that happen."