Sunrise

Mark and Ethan are on a road trip and Mark wants to watch the sunrise.
Mark and Ethan are in love with each other but don't know it.

________________________

Mark has been driving on the road for about 9 hours now. Ethan in the passenger seat. It was all just a little road trip for some fun. The sky was black, each star illuminating brightly.

Mark stared down the long road ahead appearing and disappearing behind him. Ethan would gaze out the window at the sky in awe. Just sometimes Mark would look over and catch glimpses of that smile. The smile he fell in love with.

Mark turned from the road he was on to a gravel road. The car became bouncy.

"Mark where are you going?" Ethan asked.

"It's just a quick pit stop," Mark replied smiling.

On the sides of the gravel road there was lots of overgrowth. Then on the left there's a little creek filled with grass and other things. It was hard to see.

Mark had only his headlights and the moonlight to see where he was going and what his surroundings were. Mark rolled down his window feeling the midsummer air. He wasn't going fast down the old road so it was a light warm breeze.

Ethan then did the same. He rolled down his window and took a deep breath of the fresh air.

Mark parked his car along side of the gravel road. Ethan gave Mark a puzzled look but Mark just got out of his car. He looked in front of him at a hill with some trees on top.

Mark started to walk up the hill and Ethan got out of the car and followed Mark.

"What are you doing out here? Its late." Ethan asked.

Mark didn't answer instead he continued up the hill dodging branches in the way.

Ethan just brushed off Mark's silent responses. He enjoyed the night sky and the crisp air anyways.

Mark reached the top of the hill first and looked out in front of him. He expected to see a beautiful city with colored lights. Instead there was no city, no town, it was just nature for miles. Mark would probably love the sight if it was day time. But all he could see were the dark outlines of mountains and trees.

Ethan arrived at the top of the hill standing beside Mark.

"Wow, really makes you think how small you really are in a world like this huh?" Ethan said.

"Yeah it really does," Mark replied smiling.

"When does the sun come up?" Mark asked.

"Not for another 2 hours, why?" Ethan questioned.

"You wanna stay and watch the sunrise?" Mark asked.

It's a good thing it was dark because a rose tint appeared on Ethan's cheeks.

"Yeah, that sounds nice." Ethan responded.

___________________________

Mark and Ethan were sprawled out on the ground looking up at the sky.

"Have you ever tried to count all the stars?" Ethan asked.

"Maybe once or twice, I don't really remember." Mark said.

"Sometimes I miss when times were simpler." Ethan spoke again.

"Yeah cheers to that." Mark replied.

The sky started to lighten up some. It's more of a faded dark blue and the stars were still visible.

A light breeze swept by and Ethan started to shiver. Mark moved closer to Ethan wrapping his arm around him.

"Come on you're cold. Friends cuddle all the time." Mark said.

Ethan thought about Mark's words. He wanted to be more than friends. But if he couldn't get that at least he had Mark as a friend. At least he had Mark to hold him when he's cold. To have his head on Mark's chest and listen to his heartbeat. Because friends do this all the time he thought.

"Ethan, I know this is going to sound weird... but could you hold my hand for a bit?" Mark asked.

Ethan didn't know if Mark was being serious so he hesitated at first until Mark put his hand up waiting for Ethan to respond. But Ethan didn't respond. He just put his hand in Mark's.

Mark was happy to have this moment. He rested his chin on Ethan's head, with Ethan's hair tickling his neck.
Mark wished he could stay in that moment forever. Little did he know Ethan thought the same thing.

Mark hasn't realized but a tear was coming down his cheek. He couldn't wipe it away because one arm was around Ethan and the other was holding his hand. It just pained him so much inside how much he is in love with his best friend.

The sky gets lighter and the top of the sun can be spotted rising over the mountain tops. Mark and Ethan sat up, but never let go of each other's hands.

They sat there in silence just watching the sun. Watching each crevice of shadow fill will light in front of them. The mountains filled with trees now appeared green instead of black.

They spotted a blue river flowing through one of the mountains closer to them.

"Ethan we only get to live life once, and I don't want to live this life not knowing what could've happened if I'd taken a shot at something I want. So Ethan Nestor I am in love with you. More than a friend. I would literally die for you."

Ethan didn't know what to say. He has felt the same for so long he couldn't even process what Mark was saying or his emotions. His gut just led him to kiss Mark.

So with that Ethan pushes his lips to Mark's. Mark was surprised at first but soon kissed back.

Ethan pulled away from the kiss.

"I love you too. Wow. I can't believe I just said that. I've been wanting to say them so long." Ethan said.

Mark kissed Ethan this time. Now that he's finally kissed him he doesn't want to stop. He doesn't want to waste another moment of his life without Ethan.

The sun was up and it was day light. The gravel road was now a pale blue. Mark could see his car from the hill. Him and Ethan decided they should finish their trip and get home to rest.

Ethan decided he would just stay at Mark's to sleep. He would probably sleep better in his arms anyways.

Mark and Ethan were back on the road. Ethan back to gazing out the window. Mark still looking over at him and smiling. This time Mark did what he wanted and intertwined their fingers. Ethan looked over at him smiling.