Chapter 1

Friday, December 13th, 2002
The day started out as a usual Friday for a tenth grader. Go to school, go to classes, eat lunch, go back to classes, go home, and wait until Monday to repeat the process. I was getting books from my locker when my brother came up to me from behind. 
"Daisy, did you do the homework from last night?" Sam was, once again, asking for the homework because he is always hanging out with his friends while I'm at home pretty much doing both my homework and his. What's funny is that we aren't even in the same classes. We just have the same teachers for the most part. 
"Yeah. just give me a moment to get it." I went through my bag and pulled out the folder where I kept homework. "Hey, you know what? I have an idea," I said to him as I handed him his homework.
"What?"
"Why don't you start doing your own homework?"
"Because 10th-grade homework is hard." He cramed the papers into his bag. 
"You know, I worked hard on that."
"On what?" For a moment, he looked like a confused puppy. Though, he quickly realized that I was referring to his homework.
"Oh, sorry."
"It's okay, and you know I can help you with your homework."
"No that's alright. I don't need help."
"Are you sure?"
"Yep."
"So why don't you do your work?"
"Because I'm lazy."
"Oh my God," I said as I rolled my eyes. "How am I your sister?" 
"Because Mom and Dad had twins. You're one of them and I'm the other. And people say I'm the dumb one."
"You are. It was a rhetorical question."
    "Oh." 
    "Hey babe. Hi Daisy," said Lily, Sam's girlfriend, as she walked up to us. "Are you guys going to the Christmas party? Well, I know you are Sam." She looked up at my brother like a dog waiting to be pet: big, soft, round eyes as my brother put his arm around her. She looked back at me. "But what about you, Daisy?"
"Yeah. I guess I'll go."
Just then someone else said, almost yelling, right in my ear, "You better." I turned around startled to see my best friend, Grace, "Because I am, and I don't wanna' be that one person that's dancing by herself." 
"You scared the shit out of me." I said to her, ignoring what she said.
"I know," giggled Grace.
"Well, I guess we'll see each other there," said Lily. We all nodded.
That's when the bell rang to signal that we should start heading over to our next period. "See you guys later." 
"Yeah, I've gotta head to math." Grace rolled her eyes. She hated math since she wasn't good at it. I've offered to help her study but she keeps saying that she doesn't want help. Honestly, I just think she doesn't want to bother me, even though I've told her multiple times that it wouldn't.
"Babe, walk me to science?" Said Lily.
"Of course," replied Sam. "See you later guys."
Then we went our separate ways. I just had to walk around the corner, to history. When I walked in, I went right to my seat. I was the only one there. Well, other than the teacher, Mr. Smit. More kids started coming in about twenty seconds after I did.

By the time the second bell rang, just about everyone was in his seat and Mr. Smit was taking attendance.
When he finished attendance, he began the lesson. "Okay class," he started. "Today, I thought it would be fun to learn about the history of this town. It's actually pretty dark. Just like some of you." He paused.
About half the class turned around and looked at one kid sitting in the back who had a dark appearance, and always wears black. His name was Drake, and no one knew why he only wore black. Everyone thought he was emo but he's never actually confirmed it. "Anyway, the history of this town is dark and scary. So if anyone is not good with scary things, you are excused from class." Only two people got up and walked out. "Now that that's out of the way, let's go back to the year 1850. The town had just been built, people were starting to move into the houses, and others were starting businesses. Now fast forward five years to 1855. They had elected the new mayor, Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson had a lovely wife and a daughter." He pulled up a family portrait of them on the smart board. The daughter had long, straight, black hair and blue eyes. So did the wife and the mayor, except that he had short hair. "Mr. Johnson had been mayor for three years before his daughter had been kidnapped and received a letter saying she was being held for ransom. The kidnapper did his job too well. The letter never said who to give the money to or where to leave it. The mayor could never pay the ransom. After about a year and a half, they found the guy, but not the girl. His name was Jake Frederick. The police asked him what he did with her body, but all he said was 'I took her to my basement, and locked her in there. Every day I tortured her. Every day a new form of torture. One day I starved her, another day I would dunk her head in water, repetitively. Until one day after about a year, I let her choose her own form of torture. So I brought down what she needed. I let her do it, no hesitation. Yet she is still here. I hid the body. Good luck finding her.' Those were his final words. Her body, to this day, has never been found. Since then, there have been reports of people seeing her. Then they disappear without a trace. Everything they own, gone. Like they never even existed. Years after his house was demolished, a school was built on top of where it once stood. Though his basement still remains, no one has been down there since Frederick's execution. Don't ask me where it is because I don't know."
I was intrigued. I've always been intrigued by horror and adventure but actually being able to go on an adventure in the town seemed amazing.