Chapter 14

On Sunday, when Lily's parents were asleep, Lily and Grace brought the blankets back inside the house while Diana and Sam packed everything up. They headed back to the school to wait until five o'clock p.m. to go home. After all, they didn't want their parents becoming suspicious of them. 

After what felt like an eternity, five o'clock finally arrived. They walked home in silence. I'm not sure how the others felt but, to me, nothing felt right. 

"Hey, Mom and Dad," Sam shouted as they walked in the door.
"Hey, guys, it's been awhile," Dad replied, "How was the trip?" 
"It was a lot of fun," Diana answered in my voice.
"That's good to hear. Where did you guys go again?" Mom asked.
"Washington DC," Sam said.
"So what did you do?" Dad asked.
"Went to the White House, walked around, you know that type of stuff," Diana said.
"Alright you two, go to your room and unpack. Dinner is almost ready," Mom told them.
They went to their room and closed the door.
"You still have the book and pages we found?" Sam asked.
"Yeah." Diana took the book out of my bag and read the pages aloud: 
April 11th, 1860 
Dear Diary,
Today, my parents told me what actually happened to Diana. How could they hide something like that from me. She was my best friend. They told me she moved away but what actually happened was that she was kidnapped and killed by someone named Jake Frederick. I'm so angry right now. That explains why everyone was saying that they were "sorry for my loss." At the time, I just thought it was because my grandfather had died but how would they have known about that? Ugh. I'm such an idiot. I don't know if I can trust my parents anymore. They've been lying to me for five whole years! I just want to curl up into a ball and cry. I never even got to say goodbye to her. At least now I know to stop writing letters and trying to get in contact with a dead girl. My parents keep apologizing to me. Like that's going to fix any of this. I just want my best friend back...

"Who's Diana?" Sam asked. The girl smirked.

April 21st, 1860
Dear Diary,
She was there, at school. That girl who wears only black. It's strange. She kind of reminds me of Diana for some reason. But Diana's... dead... so it can't possibly be her. When she whispers to me, she sounds like Diana. I'm hallucinating probably. There's no way this is real.