chapter eleven

ALENA'S POV

It was a completely normal day in the office, Morgan was flirting with Garcia. Emily and JJ were laughing, Hotch was in Gideon's office and I was at my desk, getting some work done for the first time. My dad came out of his office and called us all in to the conference room about the new case. I was confused as Spencer wasn't at the office yet. I walked up to my dad

"Hey dad, aren't we gonna wait for Reid?"

He shrugged

"I haven't heard from him."

As he finished his sentence, the main phoneline ran. Gideon answered which grabbed everyone's attention.

"Hello. Yeah, ok. Reid. It's ok, please just stay at home. We will be fine. Ok, bye."

He hung up the phone and walked off. Everyone gave him a 'what happened look' and he began to explain

"We are one man short this week, Reid's phoned in sick. Let's go, BAU in the conference room in ten minutes."

I grabbed my blazer as well as my gun. Morgan stopped me by grabbing my arm

"Alena, what are you doing?"

"Oh me? I'm going to see Spence. Think about it Morgan, when has Spencer ever taken a sick day? That sounds too entirely fake to me so I'm going. You can come with me if you want but you are not talking me out of this."

He nodded, I walked in the elevator and checked my watch

REID'S APARTMENT

I walked up to the door and pounded. Hoping for him to answer. I gazed out to the view from his front steps, the door flung open and in the doorframe stood a tall, scruffy haired Spencer Reid. There was only one difference, he was wrapped in heavy, fluffy blankets. His nose was blood red and he had bloodshot eyes. It was a relief that he was just ill but it also kicked a caring mode. His husky voice muttered to me

"Ali, what are you doing here?"

I walked into his apartment, he shut the door and went to sit on his couch engulfing himself under a double sized duvet

"I wanted to check on you. Doctor Reid taking a sick day screamed danger to me but I'm glad your ok. Well, out of danger at least."

A chesty cough escaped from his mouth, I laid him down and pulled a fluffy blanket over him.

"Get some rest doctor."

He tried to get up and get ready

"No, I'm fine. I will be there in fifteen."

I grabbed his arm and guided him back to the couch, grabbing a box of medicine.

"No Spence. You are under official orders to stay here and get some rest. I will call you regularly so you don't miss anything, ok?"

He nodded, he leaned his head back as I fed him some cough syrup. He laid back down, his heavy eyes shut as soon as his head hit the pillow. I stroked his curly brown hair and kissed his forehead.

REID'S FEVER DREAM FROM HIS POV

I woke up and saw myself. Well a younger version of myself. I was reading my favourite book 'The Narrative of John Smith' by Arthur Conan Doyle. I use to read that book every day, at least twice a day after school. It was an escape to me, an escape from reality. I saw my mother, sat in her favourite chair with her head buried in her hands. She didn't know what day it was normally and she would get these intense headaches, they were more commonly migraines. My father was stood in the doorway, with a suitcase in his hand and a file in his other hand. They were shouting at each other which is something I normally drowned out as a child but as an adult, I understood what was going on. What they were fighting about.

"DIANA YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL ME WHAT DAY IT IS CAN YOU?"

I could see the pain in her eyes, she tried to remember but her mind was just not letting her.

"That's not fair, don't do this."

He threw the files he had in his hands at her, they were divorce files. She was choking back the tears

"These files need to be sent off by the end of the week, if you can even remember to do that."

He picked up the suitcase and went to walk out, my younger self stood in front of him stopping him.

"Wait daddy, don't leave."

He looked down to my younger self and ruffled my hair

"I'm sorry. Have a good life Spencer."

He walked out, the younger boy was screaming longing for his dad.

"DAD!! NO, DADDY."

ALENA'S POV

I got back to the BAU, Morgan headed straight towards my direction.

"Hey pretty girl, how's pretty boy?"

I smiled, we now apparently have matching nicknames which is just great.

"Yeah he's alright, he is resting on his couch."

"Never would I thought I'd see the day when Doctor Spencer Reid was ill."

I chuckled, grabbing the case from his hands

"So what's the latest but not the greatest?"

He dove into a monologue

"There have been three fires in well known public buildings, the 99% of suspects are believed to be dead. There are others from the attacks are recovering in hospital with severe injuries. Third degree burns, the serial arsonist seems to make the victims undress before they start the fire, giving the victims these high degree burns. It's essentially like a show for them, the embarrassment gets them off. Traumatic childhood is shown. With the evidence, it's clear that it's a child. Maybe a suicidal teenage wanting revenge on classmates. The most recent crime scene is a science lab at Highsmith college not that far away. This arsonist uses gasoline and a certain chemical that makes these more of an explosion than a normal, spreading fire."

I looked shocked, I would normally hear that type of profile from Reid but not Morgan. I smiled

"Wow Morgan, nice work. You aren't just a pretty face."

I tapped his cheek and he chuckled

"Now, now. Save that for boy genius."

I was blushing. The phone beside my office chair began to ring, I assumed it was Reid. I answered

"Well hello pretty boy, feeling any better?"

A dark, distorted voice came from the other side of the phone

"Hello Agent, many are going to die. Many will be dead already, the drama department is next. Hurry if you want, but remember you may not be able to save everyone and the blood is on your hands."

"WHO IS THI-"

The phone line cut dead, I looked at Morgan and grabbed a vest as well as my gun running to the car.