chapter twenty five

ALENA'S POV

These past few months have been. Interesting to say the least. Ever since I told my dad about those letters, he put me under strict protection rules. Spencer takes me to work and back home, it worked well. I was banned by Strauss from working in the field so I took over JJ position as the lady who delivers the televised press conference. JJ took over my position as a profiler and hopefully once things get back to normal, I can join them all again. It shocks me to say but I miss it, the thrill of the chase. The last case I worked on in the field was the Bonnie & Clyde case. God that was ages ago. The threatening notes and pictures had stopped so I guess whatever I was doing was working.

It was 11am and I was due to deliver a press about a new case we were on. We were local for this case, which was peculiar but I was more nervous about the press. This was my second ever televised press, I was shaking. Spencer came over to me, placing an arm around my shoulder and a kiss on my cheek

"Hey, don't worry. Your going to be fine. Is there anything else going on Ali?"

I shivered

"It's just nerves, I'm ok."

He frowned

"Why are you lying to me?"

I sighed, getting irritated

"Well how would you feel if you had to go into protection to escape a man who was out to kill you?!"

I stepped back for a moment, realising what I just said

"I'm sorry Spencer, I am just still scared."

His skinny arms pulled me into his chest

"Hey, you listen. Alena-Rose Gideon."

"Oh god Spencer, don't full name me."

I chuckled as did he

"You will be safe, I promise no harm will come to you under my protection and the BAU's. Ok?"

I nodded, rising to my feet and walking over to the stand. Ready to deliver the profile.

HOURS LATER

Hours after I delivered the profile, they caught the man. His guilt caught up with him and he turned himself in. It was a win for us, but why didn't it feel like a win? Well, my life nowadays felt on edge as usual. It never felt like a win. I forced those thoughts out of my head, walking back into the Bureau. Spencer went straight home, as he was complaining about strong migraines he had. He was reluctant to leave but I reassured him that I was going to be ok.

After a while of sorting through files, I see out the corner of my eye my dad. He smiled, looking at me

"You know, just then I thought I saw your mother."

I smiled, with a little tear in my eye. Every time he mentioned my mom, I'd always get teary eyed. I grabbed my briefcase and headed into the elevator with my dad. The ride back to my apartment was subtle small talk, it's like ever since I got these threats, my dad forgot how to talk to me. His own daughter.

"So how's life with Spencer?"

Now I'm missing the silence, I chuckled

"Yeah, it's lovely. He's a nice guy, I really like him."

He chuckled, placing a hand on my shoulder as he pulled up to my apartment.

"I'm glad love. You deserve a nice boy like Spencer. Tell him I said hi, get something rest ok?"

I pecked him on the cheek and got out of the car. Shutting the door and walking into my apartment. I noticed the door was slightly open but my dad had already drove off. I drew my gun, creeping into the house. I searched the living room first, it was clear. I moved onto the bathroom and then the bedroom, both were also clear. As I crept into the kitchen, I saw a broken table as well as a broken mug. I sighed, picking up the shattered glass. I accidentally cut my thumb so I walked calmly over to the sink and ran it under water. It was completely silent, a bit too silent. Suddenly, I felt a cloth placed over my mouth and tight hands gripping onto my arms. I kicked him in his shin and tried to grab my gun. I tried to focus on walking but my vision got blurry, my head felt light. I collapsed on the ground.

AT A BARN

I woke up on the cold, damp floor. Covered in hay. My eyes were heavy, and my head was pounding. There was a bright light in the middle of the room that reached the middle but I couldn't see if there was anyone around me. I tried to get up but I realised I was handcuffed to the wall on a soggy mattress. I wasn't gagged though.

"SOMEONE HELP!! PLEASE!!!"

I heard a familiar raspy voice

"ALI!!"

It was Spencer. I didn't know where he was, I just knew he was somewhat close.

"Spencer, where are you?"

"I-I-I don't know. I am tied up to a chair, I can't see anything."

The barn door slammed shut. A tall man came walking in, he had blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. He was wearing full black and he had a mask on. He took the mask off and starred at me. It was him, the winter killer. He recognised me.

"Alena, sweet Alena. How lovely to see you."

He grabbed a laptop and placed it in a position to see both me and Spencer. He dragged Spencer's chair towards the screen and towards me.

"Please, let us go."

He chuckled mischievous

"Not unless you can answer one question."

HOTCH'S POV

It was early in the morning, Gideon was going through files with me in my office when Garcia came running in.

"SIR. PLEASE COME QUICK. IT'S AN EMERGENCY."

We both ran to Garcia's office. JJ, Morgan and Emily were already there, hunched over Garcia's computer. She had a live stream on her screen, I focused on the image more and realised it was a live stream of Reid and Alena. I could practically see the fear in Gideon's eyes.

"Garcia, how did you get this live stream?"

She stuttered

"I um. I was anonymous sent it in my emails."

It was silent for a while but then a static voice can't through on the speakers

"Not unless you can answer one question. There are seven other members on your team. SSA Aaron Hotchner, SSA Jason Gideon, Agent Morgan, Agent Jareau, Agent Morgan, Technical Analyst Penelope Garcia and Doctor Spencer Reid. You have to kill one, pick one to die."

She hesitated for a while, I could hear her sobs through the speaker. I heard Morgan whisper

"Come on girl, just give the guy what he wants. Say my name."

She looked up to him, locking with his eyes

"I choose me. Kill me."

He clocked a gun, pointing it at her

"I'll repeat the question once more. There are seven other members on your team. SSA Aaron Hotchner, SSA Jason Gideon, Agent Morgan, Agent Jareau, Agent Morgan, Technical Analyst Penelope Garcia and Doctor Spencer Reid. You have to kill one, pick one to die."

She leant forward, placing the gun directly to her forehead.

"And I'll repeat my answer. Kill. Me."

The screen went blank, two shots were fired. Gideon walked out, JJ and Emily were silently sobbing as was Garcia. Morgan punched the door and walked out. I ran out after Gideon.