xii

*Gianna*

"Are you excited?" My mom asks, sitting on my bed as I try to find some clothes. My mom and I aren't really close, but we have our days where we play nice with each other. Today, being my first 'date' with Jack, happened to be one of those days.

"Kinda. It's a football game, mom," I laugh as I pull out a pair of leggings. 

"Look, I know you think of me as an old lady who was born a thousand years ago, but I'm only 17 years older than you, remember that," She says as she stands up and walks over to my closet. She looks through my clothes before picking up a pair of pants and a shirt. She hands them to me. I look at the outfit. It wasn't something I could ever see my mom being okay with me wearing, but here she was, letting me wear it. I go into the bathroom to change and when I come out my mom is smiling at me. 

"What?" I laugh, questioning her smile. She just points at the outfit and then at the mirror. I too, look at myself in the mirror that acted as a closet door and smile. (outfit in media) 

"You look stunning," My mom says as she stands up and walks towards me. She plays with my hair and she looks over my shoulder at me in the mirror. 

"Now what about this Jack boy do you not like?" She asks. I just roll my eyes at her comment. What was there to like? He's a raging asshole and he can't make up his mind on how to act more than 80% of the time. 

"He's just, he's a boy, Ma. Except he has an extra dose of toxic masculinity." My mom just nods at my statement, as if she understand fully what I meant. I furrow my eyebrows at her, silently asking her to explain.

"Your father was the same way," She says, a sigh following right after the sentence. 

"Well, just better a reason to not catch feelings for him." 

Timothy Murphy was 19 when he got my mom pregnant. They were that cliche, good-girl bad-boy scenario. Except unlike books and movie nothing about them worked out. 4 years after I was born Timothy moved out after being caught cheating on my mom with the next door neighbor. On my 13th birthday he stopped trying to contact my family completely and I haven't heard from him since, not that that's a bad thing. Tim, who I refuse to call dad, and I always bud heads. No matter what we're talking about it's always a fight and it's always him pulling the victim card. 

"Gia, Kalea's here," My mom says, snapping out of my little daze. I smile and nod, placing a kiss to her cheek and walking down the stairs and out the door. 

~+~

"Look at you!" Lincoln smirks, looking me up and down. I look beside him at Jack who's staring at Lincoln as if he was about to pounce of Link at any second now. I just wave at Link, not really caring about his cat calls or his opinion on how I look. I hate to admit it, but I was only concerned about what Jack thought. Not that I cared, I just wanted to make sure I'm not making a fool out of myself showing up like this.

"We should sit at the top!" Kalea smiles, pulling her boyfriend up the bleacher stairs. Everyone in our little group follows after her and settle in at the top two rows. Jack settles in next to me, his eyes glued to the ground like he was thinking about something really hard. 

What could be running through the asshole Jack Avery's mind right now? 

----

Hi! This update sucks. I'm sorry :(