Partners (Part Two)

During Christmas Break
  Draco had wandered the halls of Hogwarts alone for days. Since Hermione and Blaise were gone, he had no one to talk to. He would spend hours in the library or in the common room. He wished it wasn't so cold, or else he would practice quidditch.
  Then a day before Christmas, Professor Mcgonagall confronted him in the hall.
  "Mr.Malfoy." She stopped him.
  Draco looked at her as if to say 'what'?
  "I know you planned to stay here for the holidays but I've just received a letter from your parents saying they want you home immediately." Professor Mcgonagall explained. Draco's face filled with dread. He was sure this was for some sort of death eater meeting.
  "Bloody brilliant." Draco said.
  "They wish for you to meet them in Hogsmeade tonight, you will apparate home from there." Professor Mcgonagall said. Draco rolled his eyes.
  "Happy Holidays Mr.Malfoy." She added and walked away.
  Draco's dread for his parents arrival grew throughout the day. He just wished Hermione were here, although he couldn't tell you why.
-
  Draco met his parents at the Hog's Head and they apparated home with him, barely even speaking to him.
  Once they arrived Draco finally asked them.
  "Why am I here?" He said.
  Narcissa and Lucius glanced at each other.
  "There is a special mission tomorrow and they may need your help." Lucius explained.
  "Special mission?" Draco asked.
  "An attack. On that traitor halfblood family the Weasley's home. It's been known the boy is staying there." Lucius explained. Draco felt lightheaded. His vision got blurry and he grabbed the kitchen table to stabilize himself. An attack on their home? Hermione was there.
  "Draco are you alright?" Narcissa asked.
  "I feel like I'm going to be sick." Draco said.
  "Don't tell me you're going soft now boy." Lucius threatened.
  "No. No, it's just, I haven't eaten anything all day." Draco lied.
  "Anyways." Lucius dismissed Draco's sudden urge to vomit.
  "Your aunt Bellatrix and Greyback will be paying them a visit tomorrow night. They asked if you would join." Lucius explained. Draco felt even worse now, Bellatrix and Greyback? He didn't want to think about what they would do to Hermione if they got a hold of her.
  "Let me think about it over night." Draco said.
  Lucius glared at him.
  "I'm going to bed early." Draco said and walked away and up to his bedroom. He collapsed on the bed, but his anxiety was eating away at him and he got no sleep, only terrible thoughts of what might happen.
-
  Somehow, Draco got out of going to the attack. He thought it might have something to do with his mother who could clearly tell he hadn't felt well the night before. However, this made Draco seem useless to his father, so he sent him back to Hogwarts right away. Draco hadn't heard anything about what happened at the Weasley's yet and he was anxious to find out.
-
Today was the day all the students arrived back at Hogwarts from holiday break. Draco still hadn't heard anything about the attack, he couldn't tell if that was a bad thing or a good thing. He went down to the Great Hall and ate his breakfast early so he could go to the library straight after, he knew if Hermione was okay, she would go there.
He sat there and read for a few hours until it was around lunch time. He heard a familiar voice talking to Madame Pince across the room and immediately bolted upright and out of his seat.
  There was Hermione, standing at the library check in desk, looking completely unharmed. Draco was so relieved he almost hugged her, but he caught himself.
  "Hermione." Draco sighed with relief.
  "Hey Draco." Hermione said.
  "Let's sit?" Hermione asked. Draco nodded and followed her back to their usual spot.
  "So how was your holiday?" Hermione asked, she seemed a bit on edge.
  "Nothing notable." Draco said. He didn't want to tell her about his parent's involvement if there had been an attack.
  "You?" He asked and cleared his throat.
  Hermione leaned back in her chair and swept her fingers through her frizzy hair.
  "A mess." Hermione said. Draco's eyes widened.
  "Why's that?" He asked.
  "You haven't seen anything in the prophet?" Hermione asked. Draco shook his head.
  "Draco, there was an attack on the burrow on Christmas. Luckily none of us were seriously hurt but the house burned down." Hermione explained. Draco's vision went foggy for a second as he processed this. Their home was gone... a family of nine people who had done nothing to provoke an attack, on Christmas.
  "Oh my god." Draco said. Hermione set her hands back down on the table.
  "Yeah. I'm still pretty shaken up about it." Hermione confessed. Draco, without thinking, placed his hands on top of hers.
  "I'm just glad you're not hurt." Draco said. Hermione smiled and then looked down at their intertwined hands. She blushed and Draco quickly pulled his hands away as he realized what he had done. 'Stupid.' He thought to himself.
  "Thanks." Hermione said.
  "So who attacked you all?" Draco asked.
  "Death eaters. Bellatrix and Fenrir Greyback." Hermione explained.
  "Hmm." Draco said and raised his eyebrows.
  "Oh I'm sorry, I totally forgot that you were related to..." Hermione said awkwardly.
  "No it's completely fine, I hate her just as much as the next person." Draco explained, this was true, he despised his aunt and the ways she dragged his mother into things.
  "Good." Hermione said. She was curious as to if her theory about Draco not being a death eater was right after all. Even if he was, he obviously hated it. She figured his parents had something to do with it.
  "So should we get back to work?" Draco asked. Hermione looked at the stack of books next to them, waiting to be read.
  "Certainly." She said with a giggle that made Draco forget why he had ever pretended to hate her.

a/n: One more part after this!!