VI. The Honeypot

One month later...

Chapter Six
Soroya

"Still no luck with the hacker lady?" Alex asks me through the phone.

I let out a sigh, rubbing at my eyes. "No. She clearly knows we're onto her. She wasn't in France, she wasn't in England, she isn't in Ireland. I don't think we're going to find her by tracking her physically."

"It's comforting that everyone else is having a crappy day too."

"How bad are things back home?" I dare to ask.

"Ross is here."

"What? Why?"

"According to Everett, Ross is checking up on all of the UN's 'projects'. It's not just Wakanda. Stark Industries, the Sanctums of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Pym Tech, and New Asgard have all gotten visits. T'Challa had a meeting yesterday with Queen Valkyrie, Pepper Potts, Stephen Strange, and Scott about all that's going on, they're all just as pissed off as we are. As shocking as it is, Wakanda has been better off than some of the others. The UN is trying to pass a bill that will allow Asgardians to have trackers implanted in their skin."

"I'm starting to think that Bauer was right," I murmur into the phone. "Things have gotten so much worse since his attacks. The governments of the world are more afraid than ever before."

"It's not helpful that every moment of the reconstruction and damage control of the Pentagon is being broadcasted. It's a reminder to them of what Bauer was allowed to accomplish in such a short time."

"It's being broadcasted? I haven't been watching any TV lately. No wonder things are being blown out of proportion. Please tell me that things aren't going complete to hell in Wakanda right now."

"I wouldn't say to hell, but things certainly aren't pleasant here. The border patrol has officially been implemented and that patrol has control of the barrier. Everyone except T'Challa has to ask Everett permission to leave Wakanda from now on. All Jabari weapons and Wakandan weapons are being stored in a new facility being built and you have to go through a background check and get a permit to get them back. Don't even get me started on what they've done with Shuri's lab. All of the other scientists working there are getting checked out and so is Shuri. Ross said that if she passes she will be allowed to continue to work as a scientists as long as she asks permission from Everett when starting a project. She hid a lot of stuff in the tunnels you guys used to escape Killmonger and no one has found them yet. She assured me that all the formulas and samples of our serums have been safely tucked away there. She wants to make sure some things don't fall into the hands of the UN."

"That sounds a lot like hell to me."

"I was trying to take a page out of your book and be optimistic. If you want to hear some good news, the dresser we ordered has finally arrived."

"The mahogany one for your bedroom?"

"Mhm, it's gorgeous. I think I pulled a muscle trying to take it up stairs, but the pain was worth it. Thankfully I had Khari's help."

"Where is Khari now?"

"With Ross, Everett, M'Baku, T'Challa, and Okoye. They're all leading Ross around Wakanda for today."