VII. Choices

Chapter Seven
Soroya

Bucky and I have been unpacking boxes all day while the kids have been at school. We've unpacked all of the boxes in the kitchen as well as the living room, and now we're unpacking all of the pictures frames that go on the walls and the fire mantel. I find one of Livy and Steve when they first started going to school in Wakanda, she was six and he was four. She's wearing a cute little red dress with pig tails, while Steve is proudly wearing a Star Wars t-shirt and light up sneakers. I touch the picture and feel my heart strain, feeling a mixture of happiness and sorrow only a parent can understand.

As I show the picture to Bucky, I see the same look go over his face, taking the words right out of my mouth: "Time goes too fast."

I nod, letting out a sigh. "Our babies are growing up."

All day he and I have both felt on edge, and seeing boxes full of pictures of our children just makes us feel even more emotional. Not only are we dealing with the fact that our children are getting older and experiencing this new adventure, we have to deal with letting them have that adventure on their own. In Wakanda we were always close by if they needed us, we knew they were protected, but here, here anything could happen. Even if their identities aren't discovered, something else bad could happen and we wouldn't be there to stop it. Wakanda feels like a bubble separated from the rest of the world, but Livy and Stevie are out of the bubble now, and Bucky and I have to find a way to accept that.

We both let out an audible sigh when Livy and Steve walk through the door at three in the afternoon. We leave the boxes in the living room and sprint towards the front door, wrapping them both in hugs before they even have time to put their bags down. Both of our children accept our embraces, with Steve complaining only a little. As I pull away from them, I can tell that something has changed. This morning when they left for school Steve was the epitome of dread and Livy was nervous but overall excited. They look the exact opposite now: Steve seems relaxed and in a good mood while Livy looks absolutely miserable.

"Did something happen at school?" I ask my daughter.

She shakes her head. "Nothing, it was completely normal. The problem is that I'm not."

Livy walks past us without another word, dropping her backpack on the ground next to the kitchen table before making her way up the stairs. I glance down at my son and see him shake his head, giving Bucky and I a shrug.

"I don't know what her deal is," Steve says, setting his back bag down as well, his excitement growing as he begins to tell us about his day: "It was just like how school is in movies; with the cliques, the crappy cafeteria food, I even get my own locker. My history teacher is a horror movie fan, which is awesome, and the lesson we had today on HYDRA was so easy I could have recited it in my sleep. I met some friends too, fellow geeks like yours truly. We had a twenty minute conversation about who would win in a fight between Darth Vader and Thanos. It was awesome."

Bucky and I share an amused expression, with both he and I sitting down on the kitchen stools as Steve makes his way over towards the fridge, grabbing onto a banana as he continues on: "Livy and I have the same lunch period. She sat with this girl for a while but ended up by herself. I don't know what her deal is. At first I thought it was the food that was making her upset, but I don't think that's it, but I would understand if it was. It was so gross it made me wish that I didn't have my heightened senses, and that's saying something."

"I'm glad you had a good day." I say to him.

"So you're liking school?" Bucky asks him, even though the answer is obvious.