VI. Olivia Natasha Barnes

Two months later...

Chapter Six
Soroya

Shuri informed me last week that our baby is ready to be born, but that the safest option for her and for me is to not do a natural birth. Shuri wants to do a C-section on me. Today is the day that that happens. It's around eight in the morning and I've just changed into a medical gown and am making my way into Shuri's lab with Bucky by my side. We all agreed that doing the birth in the lab and not the hospital is probably the best option, if something goes wrong we want Shuri's equipment close by.

Shuri isn't the only one who will be helping me with my birth, Bruce is here too. We wanted the two smartest people we know helping us with the baby, because as much as we hope everything will go alright, we don't know that. I'm the first woman to give birth to a human superpowered baby, anything could happen.

It makes me feel better that our family and friends are all waiting in the hallway outside the lab. T'Challa, Nakia, and a sleeping Zy'aire are sitting closest to the stairs, with Okoye sitting next to them. Everett, Scott, Rhodey, Sharon, Sam, Jade, and John are all here too. Of course Alex and Khari are here, and they help me up onto the medical table as Bucky asks Shuri and Bruce:

"So what exactly will happen?"

"It's pretty simple," Bruce says, laying out medical tools on a little tray next to the table. "We'll cut her open, remove her organs, cut into her womb, take the baby out, put everything back, and patch her back up."

That certainly didn't do anything to calm my nerves. My voice comes out breathless as I ask hesitantly: "H-have you done this before?"

"Shuri has, I haven't. But I have seven degrees and I've been brushing up on how to deliver babies. It should be a piece of cake."

"Should be?" Alex asks incredulously.

"We have to have faith in our friends," Khari tells his husband, placing his hand gently on his shoulder with one hand and linking his other hand with mine. "I'm sure everything will go fine."

"If it doesn't," I whisper to my brother in law, squeezing his hand tighter. "Take care of both of them."

"Don't you dare talk like that." Alex says darkly.

"Nothing is going to happen." Bucky objects.

"Just promise me, Khari," I say, ignoring the others and solely looking at him. "Please."

As much as I can tell he wants to object, he doesn't, he nods his head firmly, bringing our combined hands over his heart. "I promise I will protect our family no matter what happens."

This conversation has made the air tense and silent, so Shuri's voice startles me when she informs me: "It's time."

I nod, trying to keep a brave face as I tell her: "I'm ready."

"I'm staying," Alex tells me, placing his hand gently on my back. "No way in hell I'm leaving you."

Khari kisses Alex on the cheek before wrapping his arms around me and embracing me tightly. As he pulls back, he cups my face in both of his hands, trying to put on a brave face of his own. "I love you, Soroya."